fermented honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
Any suggestions what to do with a bucket of honey that has started to ferment?

what should I make with it that can be sold. Mead is out the question as I don't have enough space to store all the demijohns and I don't have the licences to then sell it.

Cake.

Or warm it to stop the fermentation and sell it as bakers honey.

Sell it as Baker's honey... and label it as such... ie Intended for cooking..... as per Honey regs 2015.

"Melted" down some OSR comb and other up spinnable comb in my home made "apimelter".......80 deg C on top 63 deg C in water jacket below filtered thru a fine mesh.
Packaged in 12 0z hex jars left over from the " honey co op" days and sold it for £4.80 jar!!!!....

Sold out, but have 70kg ready to package... think that can go in 1kg tubs!

Yeghes da

what should I make with it that can be sold. Mead is out the question as I don't have enough space to store all the demijohns and I don't have the licences to then sell it.

Make a hole to you garden and pour it inside the dirt. Or into nearest river..

It is last thing that you are going to sell it.

.to sell rotten food. Amen.

Last edited:
Or, you could make mead in bulk then convert it to vinegar and sell in small bottles at exorbitant prices - don't need a licence to sell vinegar and it's manufacture will keep you out of trouble over the winter!

There are lots of foodies around Brighton and you will almost certainly be the only supplier.

CVB

Make a hole to you garden and pour it inside the dirt. Or into nearest river..

It is last thing that you are going to sell it.

.to sell rotten food. Amen.

Do NOT put in a river - it will increase the biological demand in the water and kill all the fish. The bugs in the local sewage treatment plant would enjoy it though so if you want to dump it - down a foul drain!

CVB

Do NOT put in a river - it will increase the biological demand in the water and kill all the fish. The bugs in the local sewage treatment plant would enjoy it though so if you want to dump it - down a foul drain!

CVB

Spot on there, too many farmers have polluted our rivers in the passed with sheep dip, thats all we want is beekeepers doing the same dirty deeds

Spot on there, too many farmers have polluted our rivers in the passed with sheep dip, thats all we want is beekeepers doing the same dirty deeds

you mean that it is better alternative to kill honey consumers than dirty rives' fish? ( with 15 kg honey)

It is good to write out this on open forum that ordinary people see, what the real beekeepers really are.

Actually sugar is bad pollution. Microbium activity takes quickly oxygen from water when bugs eate the sugar.

Last edited:
It's not so much as the 15 kg is honey I'm worried about but the whole concept of people thinking they can just dump their waste in the river. We have been there and don't fancy our rivers going back that way again. Big fines also if you are caught red handed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fermented honey doesn't have a good taste, even when used in cooking. I don't know if you could heat it enough to kill the yeast and reduce the water content, nor if it would make much difference to the taste.

Do you know a baker (hotel, cafe etc) who uses honey that would buy it from you "as is"?

Fermented honey doesn't have a good taste, even when used in cooking. I don't know if you could heat it enough to kill the yeast and reduce the water content, nor if it would make much difference to the taste.

Do you know a baker (hotel, cafe etc) who uses honey that would buy it from you "as is"?

Any bakers near you producing, for example, honey and spelt bread ( or something similar)? Or a farmer's market stall that bakes and sells artisan bread?
Bread may be better than cake as fermentation is desired.

I don't envy you the salesman's patter for the fermenting honey, perhaps sell them good stuff first and offer the bubbly stuff at a discount.

It is disgusting stuff with its own smell and taste. Put it down to experience and ditch it. Sorry but even in cooking it tastes odd, my only suggestion would be a micro brewery who might try it for mead if it was free.
E

I have old honey about 100 kg. I give it to a horse keeper.
I do not offer it to hotells or poor families. Human food use to be demands what you must achieve.

Latest posts

Back