Fermented Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bounce

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I have just completed a task I have been putting off for several weeks - clearing out a super of frames containing partly capped honey & partly uncapped, & now well fermented, honey/nectar (not going into details why it is in that state!).
I have ended up with 3.5 jars of honey with a distinctly fermented taint, plus a litre or so of fermenting honey/nectar/cappings etc.
Question - can any of this be salvaged e.g. in baking (the "honey") or to make mead?
Is it possible to use the wild yeasts already in the fermenting mass to produce a mead or is it better to kill off the natural yeasts (how?), add a wine yeast & proceed from there?
Or better to say s*d it & chuck the lot?

add a few pints of fresh spring water some cinnamon and cloves simmer for 2 minutes, allow to cool, add a teaspoonful of Marmite and a pint of cold tea.
add a high alcohol resistant yeast and allow to ferment, rack off in 6 weeks, bottle and drink!

add a few pints of fresh spring water some cinnamon and cloves simmer for 2 minutes, allow to cool, add a teaspoonful of Marmite and a pint of cold tea.
add a high alcohol resistant yeast and allow to ferment, rack off in 6 weeks, bottle and drink!

can you actually still smell the honey after this process?

Leave the tea out and pour over roast lamb!:icon_204-2:

Ok - the mead was made & forgotten about for a couple of years (& some!).
Last year it was salvaged, bottled & recently won best mead in show at a county honey show!
:winner1st:
Problem is, there isn't a lot & I want to drink it now!!!!

Latest posts

Back