Feeding in march

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a better explanation JBM
Rather than sticking lumps of fondant on at this time of year and with current weather pattern it might be better to remove a frame or two with nothing in them for ones from stock that have not yet been cleaned out with just enough to keep them going?

Yes it was the guy wasn’t it who wanted to become a commercial beekeeper, but I did take the message overall it’s best not to disturb the bees. He said he doesn’t go in / disturb til April.
Interesting take on not disturbing before April. It's not an impression I gained from his Twitter contributions as #Calluna

I didn't mentioned opening or disturbing the colony, simply plonk a small tub above the feed hole, insulate around it and if they need it they will take it. Though it isn't the ideal situation if one hasn't left them with enough stores in late autumn.

One colony is light.

Have had fondant on during winter. Just wondered if it’s warm enough to replace fondant with syrup?

I have and local bee farmer has been since early Feb.

If the top of the hive is insulated they'll probably take it down with current temps. Think you're in the mid teens for temp this week?

I have and local bee farmer has been since early Feb.

If the top of the hive is insulated they'll probably take it down with current temps. Think you're in the mid teens for temp this week?

Yeah about 15 degrees here for next week

Have had fondant on during winter. Just wondered if it’s warm enough to replace fondant with syrup?
I'd just leave them finish the fondant first - no point in wasting it.

I’m in a conundrum with one of my colonies, not sure what’s best to do…

I’ve kept to my decision not to look into in March, except one!! Reckoned they had c4kg stores a week or so ago, so I added a pack of fondant (2.5kg). Wolfed it down. So decided to have a quick look what stores that actually had yesterday. First 2 frames chocca with sealed stores (c4kg) .First 2 frames at other side pollen. Next frames in, starting to see some sealed brood (worker) but space on frame for queen to lay. Could see other frames with top edges of stores (brood below). Didn’t go into brood nest further. Saw some liquid stores - small patches, fresh. This colony is in the valley so sheltered and lots coming out eg goat willow. Piling in pollen. They are in a polyhive - nadired super and one brood box.

However, it’s turning colder next week and who knows what April will bring….
Should I leave as is (reckon got enough stores for 2 weeks) or should I put some more fondant on. Also should I leave the nadired super below or would you move up given next few days lovely?

What would you do?

I’m in a conundrum with one of my colonies, not sure what’s best to do…

I’ve kept to my decision not to look into in March, except one!! Reckoned they had c4kg stores a week or so ago, so I added a pack of fondant (2.5kg). Wolfed it down. So decided to have a quick look what stores that actually had yesterday. First 2 frames chocca with sealed stores (c4kg) .First 2 frames at other side pollen. Next frames in, starting to see some sealed brood (worker) but space on frame for queen to lay. Could see other frames with top edges of stores (brood below). Didn’t go into brood nest further. Saw some liquid stores - small patches, fresh. This colony is in the valley so sheltered and lots coming out eg goat willow. Piling in pollen. They are in a polyhive - nadired super and one brood box.

However, it’s turning colder next week and who knows what April will bring….
Should I leave as is (reckon got enough stores for 2 weeks) or should I put some more fondant on. Also should I leave the nadired super below or would you move up given next few days lovely?

What would you do?
If the nadir isn't been used remove it how big is the cluster?

Not clustering as in poly, but a good size. Bees over all the frames. I’m guessing c 4-5 frames with brood on seeing where the brood started and ended. Seemed to be more sealed than open brood but that was the edge of the nest.
I would remove the nadir and flank the brood nest with your two frames of stored honey. Sounds like they have plenty of stores.
And just keep an eye on there weight two weeks can change alot with there stores etc.
I've got colonys much the same and they had fondant added a few weeks ago looking at them yesterday they had ample stores so I've not feed more fondant, but will keep an eye on them.
Hope this helps almost wish I could see and heft the colony

Murray McGregor at our recent webinar gave advice about adding fondant that struck a cord with me (context was for top up / emergencies). He said don’t give fondant little and often, give a good amount. His argument was every time you add a small amount you disturb the bees and they’re better left alone. Just thought I’d share as an alternative view
I think that is opening them and putting fondant on the top bars - adding fondant on top of the crown board hardly disturbs them at all.

Latest posts

Back