Feeding Fondant

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeT

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have placed 500gms of bakers fondant in a small see through container on the top of the crown board, the hole of which is directly above the bee cluster.
It has been on for nearly 2 wks and only about 1/2 has gone. The colony is I understand from a swarm which I bought in September. I fed with syrup in Sept and Oct until they would take no more.

I have hefted all the hives regularly but this one seemed light hence feeding fondant.

How much should they take and am I feeding correctly as I have never fed fondant before.

Mike

They will take it when they need it.
I understand that if you feed them fondant earlier say September the bees take it down and store it but from my own experience at this time of year the bees will lick the fondant when they want it or need it. I feed fondant in the same way as you but with a block of insulation with a hole in it for the fondant container. If the hive is one of my rooves without built in insulation then I place a 2nd piece of insulation over the fondant this way the fondant is kept slightly warm from the bees and the bees have good top insulation.

Thanks Tom. I have not insulated the hive with King Span but have use a candle wick bed spread folded over to make a 6 inch covering. Pinched from the laundry cupboard my wife in unaware.

If they are feeling light, you should give them more than 500g

If they are full sized colony (swarms can be of all sizes), they may take several Kg between now and spring (whenever that will be!). For average sized colony's, I approximate about 2Kg of sugar per month either in the form of syrup or fondant.
This is what I use as a baseline. smaller colony's less, larger more. Also, the weather can alter the amount required, as can the material of the hive.

Personally, I would give them several Kg for two reasons..

1. you do not keep disturbing them through Winter. This is very bad practice in winter.

2. it is better to give them too much than not enough. Too much will mean you take some off in Spring, and maybe swap some frames for new ones.
Not enough means you have a starved hive.

be generous! xmas is nearly here!

I fed with syrup in Sept and Oct until they would take no more.
perhaps that why they arent eating the fondant.

I trust the bedspread is inside the hive.

"If they are feeling light, you should give them more than 500g"

Just used the 1 kg I bought from the bakers and I have made a further 4 kgs of my own which is a bit hard. I will be collecting a supply from local Assoc, Next weekend. So I should have enough.

I will also be applying Oxalic acid around Christmas so will give good quantity of fondant then.

If they are feeling light, you should give them more than 500g

If they are full sized colony (swarms can be of all sizes), they may take several Kg between now and spring (whenever that will be!). For average sized colony's, I approximate about 2Kg of sugar per month either in the form of syrup or fondant.
This is what I use as a baseline. smaller colony's less, larger more. Also, the weather can alter the amount required, as can the material of the hive.

Personally, I would give them several Kg for two reasons..

1. you do not keep disturbing them through Winter. This is very bad practice in winter.

2. it is better to give them too much than not enough. Too much will mean you take some off in Spring, and maybe swap some frames for new ones.
Not enough means you have a starved hive.

be generous! xmas is nearly here!

I feed fondant in the same way as MikeT. No problem with disturbing the colony as the fondant is above the crownboard. Old tub off, new tub on, they don't even know I was there.

You're right that they can use easily 2kg a month, but they don't tend to use it equally- usually very little up to Xmas, then pile through it from about February when they are brooding. Saying that, mine have got through more than usual so far- as it's been so mild they've been actively foraging, but not finding anything.

Saying that, mine have got through more than usual so far- as it's been so mild they've been actively foraging, but not finding anything.

I find that my bees don't tend to waste their time on actively foraging when there is nothing to collect/forage, they just send out the odd few scout bees, then actively forage when these scout bees find something worthwhile.
Maybe something about this area, or just how the bees around here tend to act.

I feed fondant in the same way as MikeT. No problem with disturbing the colony as the fondant is above the crownboard. Old tub off, new tub on, they don't even know I was there.
I think once people have used this method, there's no going back - it's just so good.
I've only got the one colony which is light on stores - a last-minute nuc. So it's had a small glass ramekin of fondant in place as 'an indicator' for a fortnight now which I'm checking every 4 or 5 days. As soon as it shows evidence of being 'scoffed', I'll whack on a full jam-jar (or two) of Bako's finest. I think it's a great method.

LJ

I have placed 500gms of bakers fondant in a small see through container on the top of the crown board, the hole of which is directly above the bee cluster.
It has been on for nearly 2 wks and only about 1/2 has gone. The colony is I understand from a swarm which I bought in September. I fed with syrup in Sept and Oct until they would take no more.

I have hefted all the hives regularly but this one seemed light hence feeding fondant.

How much should they take and am I feeding correctly as I have never fed fondant before.

Mike

surely the cluster as it moves may be away from the hole & not find the fondant & starve? is that not why its better to put it directly onto the frames?

Back