feeding a/s?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flemage

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 ish
Not sure if I have done the right thing here???

Completed an A/S from a double national. All fine

I had an almost a full brood box full / partly full frames of winter stores which I wanted cleared, so I put it on the A/S.

So the hive is brood box with10 foundations and 1 drawn brood frame (with queen on). Queen excluder, crown board with feeding holes open, brood box with old frames, roof.

My thoughts were this food would help them pull the foundation in the lower box as the queen couldn’t move up.

However now I am concerned that the bees will just go up stairs and camp out there leaving the queen and any nurse bees unable to pull the foundation
out?

Any advise greatly welcomed.

I've never done it so I can't give a definitive answer but my gut reaction says they will yes both, my concern would be that you may not have quelled the swarming instinct. I don't think they will totally leave the brood, and swarming encourages wax building so you may be lucky, however I can see the queen taking advantage of the laying area above. I would have put a couple of frames of food in the new bb and see what they did with that.
E

I've never had tremendous success getting the foundation drawn out quickly in an AS scenario, without my assistance.

If you have an extractor to hand, extract the winter stores and feed as 1:1 or alternatively make up some new 1:1.

Why waste good nectar on wax building when you can help them.

If I have winter food or crystallized honey frames, I give 3 frames into a box with foundations. After a week food is gone and combs full or larvae and foundations drawn.

It is very handy.

I have done this years.

put the food frames in punch. Bees like to start a new hive from one side. They do not start from centre.

Last edited:
I've never had tremendous success getting the foundation drawn out quickly in an AS scenario, without my assistance.

If you have an extractor to hand, extract the winter stores and feed as 1:1 or alternatively make up some new 1:1.

Why foundations must be done quickly?

And no idea to extract winter stores.

Why foundations must be done quickly?

And no idea to extract winter stores.

Because it seems pointless and wasted opportunity to have drawn combs when the flow is over. I'd rather use my old winter stores in a 1:1 mix.

Your method is also another way.

Last edited:
I had an almost a full brood box full / partly full frames of winter stores which I wanted cleared, so I put it on the A/S.

Nothing like complicating things. Am I to assume this was a totally separate item?

If so, as I think it is, all I can say is why not KISS?

Ok so advise is to take off brood box of old stores................................. and either extract or place 3 frames in the brood chamber with the Queen but to the side of the box.

Ok thanks for that.

I will get on it.

Many Thanks

Or as I believe o90o is stating

go get the box of stores off and leave them to it, and stop trying to force them to go faster.

My friend had fed awfully much hives 2 autumns ago. Then we picked 40 food frames from hives in spring to get laying space.

She got quite much swarm and AS from 8 hives. She succeeded to feed all them to draw foundations.

I have found that 3 full frames is good for one langstroth box. After a week bees have not stored food. It has consumed to wax building and to feeding larvae.

Latest posts

Back