Feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raceyboy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi everybody, its Mr pick your brains again not worthy........ Just a quickie, How much sugar and water is needed for a gallon feeder?

Let's call it a 5 litre feeder and disallow any additional volume due to the dissolved sugar.

For 2:1 strength (mainly for building up winter stores.) then 10kg of sugar to 5 litres of water.

For 1:1 then 5kg to 5 litres of water.

But you don't necessarily need to fill it up - it will depend on the amount of stores they currently have and space available to the queen for laying and the reason for feeding

2kg of sugar and 1 litre of water makes 2.26 litres of sugar syrup.

3kg of sugar and 1.5 litres of water will fill your gallon container with 0.9 of a gallon of 2:1
2kg of sugar and 2 litres of water will give you 0.8 gallon of 1:1
All rounded figures.

I've got a nuc coming next week so i thought i'd put a feeder on for a while til they settle down a bit

Why?

In 1000 words or more. LOL

Dinna bother they will be fine. give them a couple of days and then check for income. If they look hungry feed and if not save the dosh.

PH

As you are going to be putting them into a hive with foundation, they'll have a lot of wax to produce. Takes eight pounds of honey to make a pound of wax, so you can see the huge energy demand.

I'd feed them as soon as they are hived as they have a lot to do before the winter.

Why?

I'm with Poly Hive. You need more bees. That means more brood. More bees will make more wax. If stores are increasing, they will not benefit from even more stores. Autumn feeding will suffice for that.

5 litres is a little more than a gallon (4.54l) but with 10kg of sugar in the same liquid volume, it would need to have the density (or specific gravity) of 3! It is actually less than half that value. Erichalfbee is much closer. You cannot simply ignore the sugar volume added.

RAB

Because they will not put it into stores, they will 'put' it into producing wax.

BTW; I thought we left gallons behind in the seventies.

For summertime-feeding the ratios of sugar to water are irrelevant... The bees will take down any strength as long as the sugar has been dissolved.

Ben P

Because they will not put it into stores, they will 'put' it into producing wax.

then isnt the thing to monitor the level of stores and feed or not feed so that stores are increasing slowly, so the bees can do what they like (as if they didnt)

Derek

In experimental situation, the animal does what it D£$%^ well likes

Yes unfortunately we did leave the English measures behind in the seveties.

I suppose the next progressive step will be to adopt the Euro.!!!!!!!!!

I suppose the next progressive step will be to adopt the Euro.!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I hope not

Latest posts

Back