Favourite soup?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poly Hive

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
12 and 18 Nucs
Serious replies please as we are planning on offering some home made soups and are wondering which the GBP would like to be offered.

PH

Great idea, we never thought of that one. :)

also meant to add chcken and also mushroom to the poll but it got away from me.. too fast a click... mutter..

PH

Brown Windsor Soup recipe
This classic hearty soup was very popular at the castle in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Queen Victoria was particularly fond of it and Brown Windsor Soup regularly appeared on state banquet menus.
Serves 4
2 Tablespoons butter
1/4 pound stewing steak
1/4 pound lamb steak (or mutton if available)
4 cups beef stock
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
1 carrots, peeled and sliced
1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
2 Tablespoons flour
1 Bouquet Garni
salt and pepper
1/4 teaspoon of chilli powder
1/2 cup cooked rice
1/4 cup Madeira
Cut the lamb and beef into 1 inch cubes and roll in the flour.
Place the butter in a large pot over a low to medium heat. It is important not to turn the heat up too high since the butter burns easily. We want it to go brown, but not black. Fry the meat off for 3 minutes and then add the rest of the flour and fry for a minute longer till the butter/flour is a golden brown.
Now add the sliced veg and stir in the stock, Throw in the bouquet garni, partially cover the pot, and simmer for 2 hours.
Puree the soup before adding the cooked rice stir in the rice and serve. Traditionally a tablespoon of Madeira would be stirred into the soup at the table.

Beef and horseradish.

Never had it, but I can't think of anything nicer out of a thermos flask on a cold golf course or country walk.

I'd go for nice chunks of steak, thick background goo made of potato, swede, peas and a zing of horseradish that makes yer nose run!

FG

Yeah - fishy chowder is fantastic!

Could you do a mussel chowder? Get someone to go grab some fresh British mussels from somewhere coastal at Silly o'Clock each day and you're in like Flynn. Had some lovely Conch Chowder in Canada - really dark, almost like oxtail or Mullagawotever.

Send me samples - I'm happy to be a QA tester :)

Mrs FG says Leek and Potato is always a winner.

I'd have lots of pepper in it, too but maybe that's best left for the slurper?

Should we stop yet?

FG

Lentil. Asparagus.

Think this thread belongs in off topic chat? or recipes.

Last edited:
a good leek and potato is great... a bad one is bland.

I tried a home made spicy parsnip soup last week which may have just tipped into my top 5

I agree Hivemaker it does but on here is the place to get the best response.

Mark will no doubt tidy it away shortly.

PH

Yes, a mediterranean fish soup is always a meal on its own
Celeriac and parsnip..........absolutely wonderful and you can make it fully veggie if needed though I prefer mine made with chicken stock.
Roasted veg......tomato,courgette,aubergine,peppers,shallot,garlic

Cock-a-Leekie if made properly.
You've got to offer this being from over the border PH.

Latest posts

Back