Failing queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Show me the honey

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hive swarmed on the 30th June so let the new queen go out get mated waited very patiently checked today lovely eggs!!! 2 frames into the brood and bang supersedure not really what I wanted to see but obviously she ain’t up to stretch. Didn’t see her but I would have thought with all the good weather mating wouldn’t of been a problem. But maybe she’s got a wonky leg or something

Hive swarmed on the 30th June so let the new queen go out get mated waited very patiently checked today lovely eggs!!! 2 frames into the brood and bang supersedure not really what I wanted to see but obviously she ain’t up to stretch. Didn’t see her but I would have thought with all the good weather mating wouldn’t of been a problem. But maybe she’s got a wonky leg or something

This is quite common
If the brood pattern looks good then just destroy the QC and have another look in a week
If they are serious they will make another but more often than not that’s the end of it.

This is quite common
If the brood pattern looks good then just destroy the QC and have another look in a week
If they are serious they will make another but more often than not that’s the end of it.

Ah ok thanks I thought it was a case of leave them to it. But yes I thought the brood pattern was solid

This is quite common

Does it matter when I do it? It’s currently an open cell with royal jelly?

No, as soon as possible. The bees are just hedging their bets. A few eggs and they are not sure how good she is so if she is useless they have a queen in the making. The chances are they would do the job themselves but ...... I would beat them to it!
E

No, as soon as possible. The bees are just hedging their bets. A few eggs and they are not sure how good she is so if she is useless they have a queen in the making. The chances are they would do the job themselves but ...... I would beat them to it!
E

Yes this may be because they have back filled the brood box with pollen and stores so she laid a solid pattern but only size of a softball on each frame might put a frame or 2 of foundation in there if I bruise the capped honey will they move it up

Yes this may be because they have back filled the brood box with pollen and stores so she laid a solid pattern but only size of a softball on each frame might put a frame or 2 of foundation in there if I bruise the capped honey will they move it up

They might if you have drawn comb in the super right above the QX.
A big colony will easily draw a frame of brood foundation in a couple of days so go for it.
I put an empty drawn super under the QX in my honey bound colony giving the queen instant room to lay but in three days the bees had moved brood box honey into that super and the queen was laying happily in the brood

Latest posts

Back