Facing South?

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

Frizzaldo 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I live in a windy spot so i've hives in an enclosed space with pine trees around it, bees on the west of the space fly earlier as morning sun hits the hives there first. Hives on the east side seem to fly a bit later though. Entrance direction doesn't seem to make a difference

Newbeeneil 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
40 plus 19 that I maintain for clients.
Is that your own idea/design? Sounds interesting, send more details.
Yes I'm playing with 2 slightly different designs this year, the new floors will be installed in the spring. I want to see how the bees deal with them and make any adjustments before I share any pictures or plans. Since we don't have AH here quite yet I don't think I will be able to test that part of my therory but I've taken designs from the continent into account and adapted them so if the bees like them I think they could prove useful in the future.

Swarm 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 30, less than 100.
Sounds intriguing Neil, how do those multiple entrances hold up to Wasp attack? I'm assuming they narrow down to tunnels before access to the hive?

BoStor 

New Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Number of Hives
One/ Two
Piggybacking onto this old thread for relevance: Am about to site the 1st of my hives in my rural 1/2 acre setting and would ask for advice: 1. Most sheltered site is facing South and behind a 25ft pollytunnel but not sure if that is an acceptable flight path? 2. open mown managed lawn windy site where I could erect a windbreak until I establish a hedge. 3. wild area with unmanaged layered grass as alternative to 2. All options are accessible and distances from paths are not significantly different. What are the pros and cons?

Curly green finger's 

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Piggybacking onto this old thread for relevance: Am about to site the 1st of my hives in my rural 1/2 acre setting and would ask for advice: 1. Most sheltered site is facing South and behind a 25ft pollytunnel but not sure if that is an acceptable flight path? 2. open mown managed lawn windy site where I could erect a windbreak until I establish a hedge. 3. wild area with unmanaged layered grass as alternative to 2. All options are accessible and distances from paths are not significantly different. What are the pros and cons?
I would put them behind the tunnel at least you have a wind break stopping the wind from some directions plus the extra heat from the tunnel is going to help on sunny days.
I've had bees infront of a poly for 5 seasons soon to be moved :(.
The hives are mainly facing north but two are facing south.

North facing hives.

Attachments