Facing South?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in a windy spot so i've hives in an enclosed space with pine trees around it, bees on the west of the space fly earlier as morning sun hits the hives there first. Hives on the east side seem to fly a bit later though. Entrance direction doesn't seem to make a difference

Is that your own idea/design? Sounds interesting, send more details.
Yes I'm playing with 2 slightly different designs this year, the new floors will be installed in the spring. I want to see how the bees deal with them and make any adjustments before I share any pictures or plans. Since we don't have AH here quite yet I don't think I will be able to test that part of my therory but I've taken designs from the continent into account and adapted them so if the bees like them I think they could prove useful in the future.

Sounds intriguing Neil, how do those multiple entrances hold up to Wasp attack? I'm assuming they narrow down to tunnels before access to the hive?

Piggybacking onto this old thread for relevance: Am about to site the 1st of my hives in my rural 1/2 acre setting and would ask for advice: 1. Most sheltered site is facing South and behind a 25ft pollytunnel but not sure if that is an acceptable flight path? 2. open mown managed lawn windy site where I could erect a windbreak until I establish a hedge. 3. wild area with unmanaged layered grass as alternative to 2. All options are accessible and distances from paths are not significantly different. What are the pros and cons?

Piggybacking onto this old thread for relevance: Am about to site the 1st of my hives in my rural 1/2 acre setting and would ask for advice: 1. Most sheltered site is facing South and behind a 25ft pollytunnel but not sure if that is an acceptable flight path? 2. open mown managed lawn windy site where I could erect a windbreak until I establish a hedge. 3. wild area with unmanaged layered grass as alternative to 2. All options are accessible and distances from paths are not significantly different. What are the pros and cons?
I would put them behind the tunnel at least you have a wind break stopping the wind from some directions plus the extra heat from the tunnel is going to help on sunny days.
I've had bees infront of a poly for 5 seasons soon to be moved :(.
The hives are mainly facing north but two are facing south.

North facing hives.

Attachments

• IMG_20210124_132904.jpg
    IMG_20210124_132904.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back