Extractor screens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greatbigchicken

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I've got a 9 frame radial extractor, but have a few deep frames to extract. Thornes have the tangential screens but they are £90 :eek. I have read that someone made screens using cake cooling racks. Has anyone got any advice or plans they could share.

Thanks. :D

Tangential screens have to be made pretty strong, and for food safety they should be made from stainless steel.
Which explains why Thorne's are £90 a set.

Good luck in finding a stainless cake rack, that fits, and has lugs to locate the frame and topbar correctly!

I've got a 9 frame radial extractor (*make?*), but have a few deep frames to extract. Thornes have the tangential screens but they are £90 :eek. …
Note that the screens are made to suit the specific extractor cage - so Thorne's will fit specific Thorne's extractors - ONLY.

Last edited:
If only it were that easy ratcatcher.

Itma - I'm not sure of the make, I bought it second hand and there no marks on it at all. I would have thought that most cooling racks are food safe, although I realise plated ones would not last as long. I was thinking something like the rack from this. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10099053/. I've already got a couple so just need 1 more if I can work out how to attach them.

… I'm not sure of the make, I bought it second hand and there no marks on it at all. I would have thought that most cooling racks are food safe, although I realise plated ones would not last as long. I was thinking something like the rack from this. http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10099053/. I've already got a couple so just need 1 more if I can work out how to attach them.

Most can be recognised by the cage design.
If you can't find it on the various retailers websites, you could do worse than post a couple of photos here and see whether 'crowdsourcing' your search helps! (Someone else must have one 'just like that' … !)

There's foodsafe and there's foodsafe. Ordinary cakeracks aren't designed for strength and so the prospect of thin flakes of plating coming off after it has been bent and subjected to vibration and several G in a centrifuge, simply doesn't enter the consideration.

Park do heavy plated tangential screens for half the price of their stainless ones (ie £15 each). Whether they fit (or can be fitted to) your extractor, I dunno. But anyway, check yours against Park's extractors.

£90 sounds pretty steep. The three SS tangential frames for my radial came from Bee Equipped in Derbyshire and were £25 (in total). They're Langstroth-size, but can be modified reasonably easily.

Last edited:
£90 sounds pretty steep. The three SS tangential frames for my radial came from Bee Equipped in Derbyshire and were £25 (in total). They're Langstroth-size, but can be modified reasonably easily.

I know those folk have the cheapest price on Apideas, but I think that sounds like a misprice and getting a set for the price of a single.
Lega make the things in Italy, and sell them for €30 each plus VAT http://www.legaitaly.com/en/cart/ex...ello-supplementare-per-rad9-e-tuc-inox-detail

Most can be recognised by the cage design.
If you can't find it on the various retailers websites, you could do worse than post a couple of photos here and see whether 'crowdsourcing' your search helps! (Someone else must have one 'just like that' … !)

There's foodsafe and there's foodsafe. Ordinary cakeracks aren't designed for strength and so the prospect of thin flakes of plating coming off after it has been bent and subjected to vibration and several G in a centrifuge, simply doesn't enter the consideration.

Park do heavy plated tangential screens for half the price of their stainless ones (ie £15 each). Whether they fit (or can be fitted to) your extractor, I dunno. But anyway, check yours against Park's extractors.

Several g in a centrifuge? all too easy to collapse wax comb even by too quick hand rotation :(

yes,i have screens from park beekeeping of Blackheath, London SE and they were about the same price

yes,i have screens from park beekeeping of Blackheath, London SE and they were about the same price

Either you or your extractor are older than you think! :)

Current Park pricing is £28.86 (catalogue) or £26.53 (website) for Stainless and £14.90 plated. Each screen.

Last edited:
I've got a 9 frame radial extractor, but have a few deep frames to extract. Thornes have the tangential screens but they are £90 :eek. I have read that someone made screens using cake cooling racks. Has anyone got any advice or plans they could share.

Thanks. :D
Bee equipped from Derbyshire do them a set of 3 for about 30 quid delivered and they are stainless

If the cage diameter is 16 inches and its depth 15 inches, my guess would be that its an old (pre-stainless) Thorne 'universal'.

That sounds about right, Is that the same size as the current ones? I thought it might be a Thorne.
Thanks for your help.

I've sent a message to Bee Equipped to ask about theirs, but I guess I'll just have to save up to get the Thornes ones.

Last edited:
I'm not sure the Bee Equipped ones would fit with your single cross-brace. My extractor has three 'spokes' on the cage.

Latest posts

Back