Extractor ckeaning

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erichalfbee

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
On Cleaning my extractor there’s black grease? Around the central shaft at the bottom. There was a thread on this earlier but I can’t find it. Has anybody taken apart a Giordan 8 frame drill driven extractor to get to the bearings? I have emailed Agrinova with no reply so I know to ask here. Cheers

If your bottom bearing is a single ball as most extractors seem to be, then it's likely the ball is just carbon steel. Honey reacts and turns black when it contacts steel. You can change it for a ball made of 316 grade stainless steel. Just measure the ball and buy a replacement. Approx £3 or 4 +pp for pack of 10. So you will have spares, as they are easily lost.

for example. https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Loose-Balls-&-Rollers-316-Stainless-Steel-Loose-Ball-Bearings/c23_5001/index.html

Thank you for that.
I shall get Stan to take it apart for me

PM'd ya Erica

If your bottom bearing is a single ball as most extractors seem to be, then it's likely the ball is just carbon steel. Honey reacts and turns black when it contacts steel. You can change it for a ball made of 316 grade stainless steel. Just measure the ball and buy a replacement. Approx £3 or 4 +pp for pack of 10. So you will have spares, as they are easily lost.

for example. https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Loose-Balls-&-Rollers-316-Stainless-Steel-Loose-Ball-Bearings/c23_5001/index.html

If the bearings are made from carbon steel then this is highly alarming. :ban: There must be thousands of extractors out there that are not food/honey safe and quite possibly many folks unwittingly selling/producing/eating/giving away tainted honey. Would any manufacturer of food processing equipment actually make something that was not food safe in these litigious times ?

If the bearings are made from carbon steel then this is highly alarming. :ban: There must be thousands of extractors out there that are not food/honey safe and quite possibly many folks unwittingly selling/producing/eating/giving away tainted honey. Would any manufacturer of food processing equipment actually make something that was not food safe in these litigious times ?

Ok then, maybe not.
I know for sure though that the ball in my own extractor wasn't stainless. I doubt it would make much difference anyway; whatever honey finds it's way down into the bearing housing will lie in there and not come out until extraction is over and the machine being washed. I would guess in my own machine the quantity would be no more than 2 or 3 ml.

Ok then, maybe not.
I know for sure though that the ball in my own extractor wasn't stainless. I doubt it would make much difference anyway; whatever honey finds it's way down into the bearing housing will lie in there and not come out until extraction is over and the machine being washed. I would guess in my own machine the quantity would be no more than 2 or 3 ml.

Fair enough, but do you get black stuff from just one session of extraction or after multiple sessions ? The questions of, does your extractor have seals and with what frequency does the manufacturer recommend the extractor is cleaned/washed, also arise? and of course are their recommendations being followed ?

Food grade stainless (of the correct hardness for the task) should not react with honey.

We hire out Lega 3-frame honey extractors to Conwy BK members. The bottom bearing is a 6mm diameter hardened chrome steel ball. We hold spares, in case users lose the bearing, when they are washing the extractor. Simply Bearings provide a very good service.

Back