Excellent books from my Local Library

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juststarting

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
4 hives, 1 nuc
Having asked a year or so ago about books on beekeeping I drew a blank at my Library (well not quite but a 1920's book which was virtually impenetrable by a newbie) so I gave up the idea of borrowing and bought a few books.

Anyway having recently needed to frequent my library on a regular basis I thought I may as well ask again and this time at least 10 books came up as available from inter-library loans.

I picked 2 and they are both brilliant but totally different.

1. Haynes Bee Manual - The complete step by step guide to keeping bees by Adrian and Clare Waring. Just published. Probably the best beginners book I've seen. A good level of detail and very clear photos and diagrams.

2. A manual of Beekeeping - ED Wedmore 3rd Ed 1988. - I just love it, fantastic detail and information, complete opposite of above book (no colour photos or diagrams), but extremely detailed written explanations. I can see why others on here refer to it (PH), not worthy but it would have been too much for me to take in last year.

So apart from seeing what others were on the list. I am now hoping to get a reasonably price Wedmore for myself - otherwise it might be on permanent loan! I dont think I'll buy the Haynes as I have quite a number of beginners books that cover the same contents although not in one book like the Haynes, but would still be happy if I was given it - Hint to husband!

1. Haynes Bee Manual - The complete step by step guide to keeping bees by Adrian and Clare Waring. Just published. Probably the best beginners book I've seen. A good level of detail and very clear photos and diagrams.

Both good books; I happened to join Claire and a few others for a cuppa at Stoneleigh and thumbed through the final proof copy she had there. Very nicely done, with appealing layout and great photos, and definitely not a 'bandwagon' book.

From the lack of response I'd guess that not many beekeepers are to be found in the Library - guess they're all holed up in their sheds making dummy boards when it's raining (well I was!)
Never thought of the Library for bee books. I tend to lose track of time and forget to take books back, which gets expensive nowadays.
Don't disregard all pre-1920s books, I've just downloaded and read Rev.Langstroth's 'The Hive and the Honeybee' from 1853, and it's fascinating. Outdated in places but amazingly current in others, and I've learnt lots from it.

Wedmore has a lot going for it.

One of my second hand bee books had a bee squashed between the pages circa 1950.

My local libraries have quite a few bee books:

(Teach Yourself) Beekeeping - A & C Waring
Life in a colony of bees - R Spilsbury
Complete handbook of beekeeping - H Mace
Illustrated encyclopaedia of beekeeping - R Morse (though I think both of these copies have one walkies now)
Hives: the story of the honeybee and us - B Wilson
Beekeeping for Dummies

to name just a few. I think i must be quite lucky :D

I order all sorts of bee books from the library. For a small fee, they will also stock brand new ones for you and borrow from far and wide. A marvellous service.
Cazza

I ordered books from my local libray ,they delivered within a week from all over the County

I read them and then decided which ones I wanted to buy for future use

Latest posts

Back