Established queen being balled?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gower

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Please can someone advise? I reared a new queen this May from good stock, and she has been laying very well, covering 5 frames of brood on 14x12 frames so seems to be going fine. Yesterday i was carrying out an inspection and couldnt see the queen initially, though there was plenty of evidence of new eggs expanding onto new frames. Then i saw the Q on the side edge of the BB almost exiting the box itself, and she appeared to be pursued by quite a number of workers - almost as if they were trying to run her out of the hive. she then did an about turn and descended into the depths of the BB followed by the workers, and i could not find her again at that point so i closed the hive up.

Would the workers suddently turn on a Q who has been reared from a QC in the same hive, who has been a prolific layer over the last 2 months? if so what could cause this and is it likely that they would ball the Q and kill her?

I had a similar incident earlier this year with a colony with an older queen that kept swarming (and returning). After splitting hive and at next inspection we noticed workers hanging on to her and she appeared to be being balled. On next inspection, fearing the worst, she was there and everything ok. This remained so for several weeks then she disappeared suddenly (still eggs there). Colony didn't reduce in size so no swarm, she was clipped, so could have been lost in a failed swarm, but no QCs found. There behaviour worsened for a couple of weeks while requeening from scrtach, but now all is back to normal with new queen.

In your case it sounds like she is being pursued by frantic attendants tring to get her back inside. So hopefully at your next inspection everything will be fine.

I had an incident this season. I picked up a queen and she was instantly attacked by her own workers. I puffed them off and put her back (without marking or clipping) onto a different but they still balled her. I've only had this once in 12 years and many hives so I guess it's a rarity but I've heard similar stories from others. Just keep fingers crossed for your queen.

If I introduce a new queen and inspect after 7 days and they still look a bit aggressive towards her I give them a good spray with sugar syrup mixed with vanilla essence. Thats worked well for me in the past.

thanks for the replies.

i had a quick look in the hive yesterday and the Q was happily going about her business on a central frame of brood, without and of the frantic attention from the workers which i had seen earlier in the week. am not sure if there's an issue with swarm or supersedure as she's this years Q, is laying very well and there's still plenty of room in the 14x12 bb. i wont rule out the possibility though, so will keep a close eye out for QCs when i do next few inspections.

many thanks!

Like Chris I have seen it once. It was sadly fatal and in an ob hive too!

PH

I've clipped and marked a few dozens of queen now - badly in some cases! - and not seen a problem apart from once when a queen was being chased around. She had laid up a few frames so apparently OK. Brood was solid and there was loads of room. However swarm cells were produced soon after.

Latest posts

Back