empty brood box?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gam

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I am a new beekeeper. I started with two hives, with two med supers both hives field up fast. we put another super on top of both and used the checkerboard method. taking 4 of the frames from the middle super and putting on the new added super, this was the 1st of June. July 1 we checking the hive and the bottom brood box is empty , there are some bees but nothing is going on. We were told to go move the full honey into the brood box and move the brood box to the top. We did that today and now there are a lot of my bees outside the hive. Did we do the wrong thing?

If there were few bees, I am wondering where they have gone. A lot of bees might mean the whole neighborhood of bees are helping themselves.

Don't think this is really your problem, but reading your post makes little sense. Need more information of what is empty of what, etc, etc. Otherwise only guessing, as above.

reading your post makes little sense. Need more information of what is empty of what, etc, etc. Otherwise only guessing, as above.

The talk of starting with medium 'supers', and no mention of excluders (even the op's location ) may shed an awful lot of light on what's actually happening.

Back