Emergency Queen & Patchy Laying - will it improve?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidharradine

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello everyone

I posted the other day about an emergency queen that was only laying drone. I had another look yesterday and now there is some capped worker brood as well, but not much, and it's very patchy.

In another hive with a new queen the brood is perfect and profuse (she's not an emergency queen).

In your experience, might the patchy-laying queen improve with time, or do you think this will be as good as it gets?

Thanks
David

Do not expect the laying to improve. Time for the beek to intervene. Either kill and unite or buy a new queen. Leave them to it and they might supersede, assuming the workers know the difference between a drone larva and a worker larva.

Just to be awkward I would say - I'm sure they know best, let them decide if and when to replace her.

There are times they definitely do not know best and this is a prime example.

It's crunchie time for her, and time for you to decide whether to buy or raise some cells to replace her with.

PH

In order to supersede a 'defective' queen she first of all has to lay a fertilized egg in a queen cell cup. Perhaps not that likely considering 1/ She is laying a mix of fertilized and unfertilized eggs, and 2/ There may not be that many queen cell cups on the comb of this particular colony.

I reckon bees know the difference between fertilised and non fertilised eggs. I also believe that bees will soon make a q/c if they want to, and put an egg in it.

Back