emergency queen cells and swarming

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thenovice

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Aim for 4 but tend to end with 15
I tried to requeen an aggressive hive with one of my first home grown and mated queens. As beekeeping revolves around my busy life I only took 24h before I took the tab out of the cage and they killed her unfortunately. As it was a very big colony, they raised an enormous amount of emergency queen cells. I roughly squeezed 50 of them as I do not wish to perpetuate this line and gave them a queen cell from my queen rearing efforts. I now wondered. And I should know this but I don't. Do Bees swarm on emergeny queen cells? there certainly were enough cells and bees available...

incentives such as enough cells and bees.

In a situation like this it may be best to offer a queen or queen cell only at the point when they can no-longer raise a queen of their own, i.e. wait until all the larvae are sealed.

If you had a number of queen cells available I might have been tempted to split them three or four ways and requeen each split, combining the ones that didn't work

If you had a number of queen cells available I might have been tempted to split them three or four ways and requeen each split, combining the ones that didn't work

That would have been an option but on one hand I have hived 6 swarms this year and am completely out of equipment. on the other hand, I had unfortunately only one QC left from desirable stock and I wish to eradicate this genes from the earth :). The original queen is in a nuc so if this requeening effort fails, she will extend her lease of life slightly.

Latest posts

Back