Emerged Queen 6 days ago

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nbw

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all.
I had a swarm 2 weeks ago. I took preparations to prevent cast swarms by knocking all but 1 charged QC. I inspected last week and noticed an empty QC. I have looked today and couldnt find a queen or any eggs.

Is it too early to assume there was an issue? There is no more larvae left and brood frame space for brood are being used for stores and honey.

Thanks
Nick

Last edited:
Hi all.
I had a swarm 2 weeks ago. I took preparations to prevent cast swarms by knocking all but 1 charged QC. I inspected last week and noticed an empty QC. I have looked today and couldnt find a queen or any eggs.

Is it too early to assume there was an issue? There is no more larvae left and brood frame space for brood are being used for stores and honey.

Thanks
Nick
When you say you noticed an empty queen cell, was it the one you left and were there signs that she emerged, ie open at the tip?

prevent cast swarms by knocking all but 1 charged QC
Did you repeat that check 7 days after the swarm left? If not, they may have gone again.

couldnt find a queen
Don't waste time disturbing a colony - esp. one between queens - by looking for a queen: look only for eggs.

If the cell is an emerged one with open tip then leave well alone for a two or three weeks.
Colony demeanour should give one a good idea that a VQ is out, typically if one is a fiddler one will see polished cells surrounded by food kept ready in anticipation for her.

Latest posts

Back