Eggs but no larvae?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carimae

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi All

Hoping someone can help!!

One of my colonies had no eggs for a few weeks then last week I found eggs on two frames so guessed the queen had stopped laying and had restarted. Checked again yesterday (6 days from when I saw the eggs) and there is no larvae only eggs? I think these are the same eggs as last week!!! I have double checked and the all but one of the eggs are on the bottom of the cells. As we are coming to the end of the season I am wondering what I should do!? My other colony are seemingly doing well, eggs and larvae at different stages and all appear pretty happy. Any thoughts/advice would be happily recieved:sos:

Thanks cari

Hi All

Hoping someone can help!!

One of my colonies had no eggs for a few weeks then last week I found eggs on two frames so guessed the queen had stopped laying and had restarted. Checked again yesterday (6 days from when I saw the eggs) and there is no larvae only eggs? I think these are the same eggs as last week!!! I have double checked and the all but one of the eggs are on the bottom of the cells. As we are coming to the end of the season I am wondering what I should do!? My other colony are seemingly doing well, eggs and larvae at different stages and all appear pretty happy. Any thoughts/advice would be happily recieved:sos:

Thanks cari

How old is the queen?

Have you treated them with anything recently? Sometimes treating can cause a queen to stop laying for a little while, although I have no idea why those eggs haven't developed into larva.

She is a new queen this year,I haven't treated as I was waiting to see if she would lay. I am perplexed!!!

Lots of reasons for a queen to stop laying but undeveloped eggs?? Would contaminated comb maybe 'poison' the eggs? Clutching at straws here.

The eggs you saw could be capped now so not the same eggs, queens do have breaks from laying. No eggs could have been your colony superceded or even swarmed but we would have to know a bit more about your bees. I would keep a close eye on the capped brood and laying pattern.

I have never known eggs not to do anything! Fertile they are workers, non fertile they become drones. I feel sure that somewhere you must be mistaken! Sorry! All I can suggest is a frame of brood and eggs from your other colony to see what happens! Like the others... If you ARE right I am flummoxed !
E

Hi Carimae,
Biglongdarren and I had the same problem. I united after a fortnight and biglongdarren ran an experiment all summer. Conclusion she is poorly mated, no good!

Latest posts

Back