Easy cut out

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
I was called to a swarm situated between a window and closed shutters yesterday.

Opening the shutters revealed a basket bell sized cluster hanging from the stone lintel. A gentle probe found comb in the cluster - change of plan!!

It turned out that there were 6 combs in all and they were cut out and tied into 3 frames, as many bees as possible were then scooped into the swarm box and the box propped on top of the shutter. Lots of fanning and the remaining bees began to head for the box.

Couple of cups of tea later all but a dozen or so were in the box so closed up and taken away - elapsed time 2 hrs:party:

I took them to my out apiary (too close to take them home) transferred the frames of comb into a Nuc box added 3 frames of foundation then tipped the remaining bees onto a sheet - they ran in just like a swarm. There was very little food in the frames so I gave them 1ltr of 1:1 syrup.

Wish they were all as easy as that:biggrinjester:

Cut out deja vu

An almost identical situation - this time an upstairs window
Pic 1 - as found
Pic 2 - after removal of 3 combs
Pic 3 - all gone but note the cluster on the outside of the shutter!!
Pic 4 - Necessity is the mother of invention - Chair on windowsill + 2 x cardboard boxes got the swarm box within scent range and all the bees moved in:)

All but a few were gathered in with the kind assistance of Chris and Keni58 - thanks guys.

Good job, did you put the comb into empty frames and held it in with elastic bands

Mike,

Just keep checking for a freshly white marked queen - she went somewhere!

Good job btw, and call me if you need any help locally - im around the house pretty much 24/7. would like to learn at the feet of the master not worthy

Nik

MJ,

Obviously not been there long. Do you have an idea of time for that amount of new comb to be drawn?

RAB

Combs were held into the frames with 1" wide masking tape. 3 vertical and 1 horizontal strip applied to one side, comb laid in then 3 vertical to hold it in place. As long as the cut edge is kept in contact with the top bar the bees will weld the joint then chew away the masking tape.

The first one had been there less than 14 days ( owners of the house found it on return from hols. The second one was larger, best guesstimate 2 - 4 weeks. Both were calm and non aggressive.

To enlarge on the 4th picture, we tried with the swarm box on 1 cardboard box on the chair but the bees began to move off and cluster in a nearby tree. We then added another cardboard box and that attracted the remaining bees who covered the front of the swarm box and began fanning. The larger volume of scent did the trick and all were gathered in.

Latest posts

Back