Earliest Swarming - time of year.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithers

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone keep records of when their bees swarmed.
My records show the earliest dates my bees swarmed in the past few years as April 18th and 21st. (London area)
Anyone have knowledge of their bees swarming earlier in the year than that?

Last edited:
The earliest I have had was 19 April 2009 - Agood early April then 10 days of awful weather (ie not possible to inspect) first fine day and they were off :eek:

Fortunately they settled about 50 yards away in a hazel tree and were recovered, that queen (2008) is still going strong :)

Does anyone keep records of when their bees swarmed.
My records show the earliest dates my bees swarmed in the past few years as April 18th and 21st. (London area)
Anyone have knowledge of their bees swarming earlier in the year than that?

Nope, can't beat that.
Cazza

i oncehave picked up a swarm in early april. but generally i dont have any queen cells in my hives till after the first week in may

I was called out to a prime swarm end of last March - don't know hive origin. Was in Brighton Sussex.

The earliest I have had was 19 April 2009 - Agood early April then 10 days of awful weather (ie not possible to inspect) first fine day and they were off :eek:

Fortunately they settled about 50 yards away in a hazel tree and were recovered, that queen (2008) is still going strong :)
thanks. Was that in France?

I was called out to a prime swarm end of last March - don't know hive origin. Was in Brighton Sussex.
That's an early one.
One of Prof Ratnick's maybe?

Last edited:
Yes - been here since September 1999 and "lovin it" :party:

So would I. I love the Dordogne. Which part are you in? Spent a fabulous holiday with friends in Belves (and all over) and it was spectacular.

Latest posts

Back