Drying Ash

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REDWOOD

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I have been promised some planks of Ash from a tree waiting to be cut down, the planks will be an inch thick, so my question is how do you dry them and how long will it take ?

Stack the planks with sticks between each plank at regular intervals along the length, somewhere where the air can pass through out of the rain. The ends of the planks can split as they dry out. How long for depends on the weather but can take a while. A moisture meter will tell you. Ash doesnt have a very high moisture content from the start thats why it can be burnt when cut down, but it sounds like you have it for a project if having it in planks.

Last edited:
Most of the ash in Norfolk is being dried on bonfires.

Seems odd that a grower is ripping up all his young trees even tho they dont show any signs of desease and burning them.....Compensation I suppose.

Thanks, the tree tree is not diseased it's just falling down and has to be removed

as veg says make the sticks all the same size and place every two foot along full length put next plank on and do the same and so on as veg says take moister meter reading when fresh and check every month until dry and seasoned

Air dried, about a year per inch thickness.

I tried to air dry a 2" oak plank that had been retrieved from the River Tamar. I had air circulation all around it but it was left in the sun, which was a mistake because it developed big cracks - it should have been left in the shade. You may not have the same problems with Ash due to its inherent lower moisture content but I'd not risk leaving it in the sun to dry.

You may not have the same problems with Ash due to its inherent lower moisture content but I'd not risk leaving it in the sun to dry.

To be in control of the drying process a kiln is the easiest way.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back