Drones indicating a problem?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
I was talking to another beek and mentioned how active my bees still were. I then mentioned that there was still a bit of drone activity although somewhat reduced. They replied that they had heard that drone activity at this time of year could be an indicator of all not being well in the hive although they couldn't remember what the problem could be!!!!
Is this the case? We have had our first good frost but generally the hive seems quite happy.
Also the bees are still working some HB although I don't know where and are bringing back some very bright orange pollen. Any ideas what the pollen could be?

hi
it going to be
ragwert or ivy at this time of year

Bright orange on my pollen chart suggests Field Scabious at this time of year.

I was talking to another beek and mentioned how active my bees still were. I then mentioned that there was still a bit of drone activity although somewhat reduced. They replied that they had heard that drone activity at this time of year could be an indicator of all not being well in the hive although they couldn't remember what the problem could be!!!!
Is this the case? We have had our first good frost but generally the hive seems quite happy.
Also the bees are still working some HB although I don't know where and are bringing back some very bright orange pollen. Any ideas what the pollen could be?

Hi Andy
My bees also have a smattering of drones still present as they did last year at this time, I am sure they are all quite happy and well. Mine are bringing in ivy at present by the bucket full, where in the Duchy you that yours are finding HB?
Cheers
S

I read something the other day in 'The Queen Must Die' which said that if the hive feel that HM is not well and will need replacing before winter they keep the drones and make sure she makes new ones, prior to superceding. However - I'm in Devon and my hive activity seems similar to yours - I think it is just because we are in the sunny south west!

Stiffy,

I am in the Tamar valley. I have had a walk around my local area and couldn't find where they are getting the HB from. I have found it locally along some streams but outside foraging range of my bees. Andy

anyone know what is the actual cue that stops drone production?

Steve Tabor recons its all down to nutrition - he raised drones all year round by feeding pollen when there was none naturally available

anyone know what is the actual cue that stops drone production?

Dont know the answer to that but today I watched the workers open a drone cell and drag the undeveloped pupa away....

Stiffy,

I am in the Tamar valley. I have had a walk around my local area and couldn't find where they are getting the HB from. I have found it locally along some streams but outside foraging range of my bees. Andy

Little devils will find what they need, not seen HB near me but I am in far SW
Cheers
S

Latest posts

Back