Drone laying workers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beepig

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Two of my colonies, next to each other. Both closed down been treated and two supers a piece. One however, has winter bees and drones galore..other normal. What can I do?

How do you know it is a drone laying worker, it could be the Queen laying drone brood, either way i think you are fooked at this time of the year unless you can find the drone laying Queen and unite, if it is a laying worker cut your losses, i have had two laying workers in my time in summer and what a pain they are let alone this time of the year.

Last edited:
How do you know you have winter bees in one hive but not in the other? Have you dissected them to look at their fat bodies ?

Two of my colonies, next to each other. Both closed down been treated and two supers a piece. One however, has winter bees and drones galore..other normal. What can I do?
Walking dronea or drone brood?
If the former then let them sort it, if the latter in excessive
amounts - there is a scale - then "houston we have a problem"
applies, seeing as how Santa is coming.

Bill

If you have a drone laying queen or drone laying workers then at this time of the year there is little hope. If there are enough worker bees they may get through to spring but at some time you will have to deal with them, sooner is better than later. Is there any worker brood at all?
E

Ido not know if there’s worker broood,not been in since September did not see queen then or any brood apart from scattering of drone

Ido not know if there’s worker broood,not been in since September did not see queen then or any brood apart from scattering of drone

Then do continue on keeping on... the evident will be seen.
BTW.. isaat a radio telescope you use?

ht tps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3uwgsoCgkC7BEDVxEmbpTbfvOzWapvmiDHSvAsFDPMWQ4GA

Bill

You can't just assume you have a drone laying queen or laying workers (they cannot lay anything bar drones) just by watching at the entrance, most colonies allow some drones to remain in the hive - some more than thers.
Nowt you can do so quit worrying until spring.
The 'no brood but a scattering of drone' you saw at inspection sounds to me just a normal situation during a temporary brood break

Thanks Jen it is as originally thought. I shall get back to renovating a langstrh fo my out apiary. Btw I’m in Pembrokeshire, Goodwick.

What can I do?

Two most likely scenarios:

1) An unmated queen present.
2) A drone layer.

Unless/until you find out which one, you are just guessing.

There may still be an old laying queen, even if there is a virgin present - the bees will sort it out, if possible.

If a drone layer, the colony will be doomed, although it may overwinter. With that scenario you will need to unite now, or let them alone until spring.

What can I do?

Two most likely scenarios:

1) An unmated queen present.
2) A drone layer.

Unless/until you find out which one, you are just guessing.

There may still be an old laying queen, even if there is a virgin present - the bees will sort it out, if possible.

If a drone layer, the colony will be doomed, although it may overwinter. With that scenario you will need to unite now, or let them alone until spring.
the queen present was marked and just one season old. They are closed down now, bit risky to open. Shall have to wait and see next spring I guess

It would be unusual bad luck to have a season queening go tits up
on the first sign of a dearth - which is what wintering is - it is more
likely poor genetics in her progeny not being efficient housekeepers.
Nothing to be done now but wait and plan for what is to be done
those first weeks of Spring.

Bill

Thanks Jen it is as originally thought. I shall get back to renovating a langstrh fo my out apiary. Btw I’m in Pembrokeshire, Goodwick.

Used to spend a lot of time in Gwdig working the ferries, haven't been there for quite few years now - does Bernard still run the Glendower?

Back