drone evicition and death

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beecology

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi folks,

Observed a drone being dragged out by a worker yesterday and have found several dead drones at the hive entrance. I was just wondering why this happens/why have they died as I have read they only get evicted in autumn. They have not long hatched so I don't know why some have kicked it (are they short lived?)

Cheers

any drone experts? I presume its just normal at any time of the year, not just autumn?

Not an expert- the only thing I can think of is that there was something wrong with them. Do they look normal- right size, proper shaped wings etc?

I think I read somewhere that hives will accept drifting drones if there is a flow on, but will eject any drifters in a dearth.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Native type bees will often react very quickly to a sudden dearth and trim off the fat without a moments notice, it is a bit early for this behaviour though, as above, are the drones healthy?

Hi folks,

Observed a drone being dragged out by a worker yesterday and have found several dead drones at the hive entrance. I was just wondering why this happens/why have they died as I have read they only get evicted in autumn. They have not long hatched so I don't know why some have kicked it (are they short lived?)

Cheers

The love hate thing goes on all year round. Next time during inspections look at where the drones are, are they evenly covering the frames or are they pushed to the outer frames or even hiding round the back of the dummy board. We have gone through a spell of cooler, wet weather of late and the bees will see the drones as dispensable right now and will evict them.

thanks all - the drones appear outwardly healthy and look ok but I found one with deformed wings (may have been chewed by workers rather than verroa?) and also a few drones inside the hive were very slow and lethargic.

What would affect drone quality but not worker quality? is there any specific conditions that cause poor drones only?

What would affect drone quality but not worker quality? is there any specific conditions that cause poor drones only?

Some treatments can cause them to be infertile, like formic acid.

this is interesting stuff - as Tom Bick says, the drone brood is towards the outer frames and in small patches grouped together on the foundation.

But hivemaker you have also given me something to ponder....I treated the framesand brood with hiveclean and the ingredients state formic acid. Hiveclean is supposed to be totally organic and cause no harm to the bees...it makes them thoroughly clean themselves and rid any verroa through the cleaning process.

Would any of you recommend uncapping some drone brood to look for verroa and also thin some drone out at the same time?

Would any of you recommend uncapping some drone brood to look for verroa and also thin some drone out at the same time?

Yes. Try to make sure the cappings are older, otherwise you'll just pull out a load of mush.

Varroa, by the way :)

Latest posts

Back