Downsizing from 14*12

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GillGM

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am fostering colonies that are currently on 14*12s. For various reasons these will need to be transfered to standard BN BB. Apart from shook swarm, which is a little risky as nectar flow not particularly good at moment, what else could I do?

I am fostering colonies that are currently on 14*12s. For various reasons these will need to be transfered to standard BN BB. Apart from shook swarm, which is a little risky as nectar flow not particularly good at moment, what else could I do?

You could exchange some frames for standard national...if they build comb under them you can slice it off when you transfer the frames. Or you could put a national above using brood comb...when the queen moves up...put a queen excluder in....I'm sure there are more ways that others would suggest too. I expect they will be along soon.

Do a bailey change - put a national brood box on top and let them move up into it - probably easier with a good flow on - to encourage them you could move the centre brood frames from the 14x12 up into the top brood until they move outwards then put them back down the bottom when it's drawn out and the queen is up there.

Latest posts

Back