Double brood working vs Demaree

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doubles depending on prolifacy still need Demareeing if one doesn't split, one needs as per usual act before RJ appears in cups/qc's.
That would be interested performing a demaree on a double brood with say 16 frames of SB?

Don't the frames in the "half" section of the brood-and-a-half contain sugar from the pre-winter feeding (and fondant etc), thus preventing you from moving them up into the supers? Or do you not have to feed for winter?
By mid July when the threat of swarming is over and the broodnest anyway starts to decrease I move the queen excluder down and push them back to the single brood box. As the brood hatches they back fill it with honey which I can still harvest. Th deep deep commercial brood box is big enough for any size colony to overwinter.

You just put the majority in the upper box, in this case eleven, the queen is left with a relatively small nest of five brood combs.
Configuration 1st brood Q 5 frames of brood,super x2, 2nd brood 11 x frames of capped brood, then how ever many supers extra are required for the flow?

Keep moving frames as soon as there capped or mixed bias, up to 2nd brood box.
Being a strong colony like that you could utilise it by adding a graft frame in brood 2 as a starter hive.

Configuration 1st brood Q 5 frames of brood,super x2, 2nd brood 11 x frames of capped brood, then how ever many supers extra are required for the flow?

Keep moving frames as soon as there capped or mixed bias, up to 2nd brood box.
Being a strong colony like that you could utilise it by adding a graft frame in brood 2 as a starter hive.

That sounds like a lot of work if you still have 35 hives!:unsure:

That sounds like a lot of work if you still have 35 hives!:unsure:
It does them 35 will be 20 odd when all the nucs have gone.
Much easier ways, i was suggesting a method one that could be used if you had a small amount of colonys.
But beekeeping is all about playing and trying different things.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back