Double Brood Inspections

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In answer to original post....

I have found myself in the (what I originally thought messy) brood and half situation, here's what I do..

Remove crown board, and anything else above QE, and place on upturned roof.

place an empty super box on CB

remove QE

inspect each 1/2 frame, then placing frame in super box previously put on CB, until full.

Remove (now) empty super box from hive (give it a good shake)

Inspect BB as normal

Place 1/2 brood frames in new super box on BB

rebuild hive.

Works surprisingly well, but you do need an empty super box. Gives bees shed loads of room but prob not as slick as 14 x 12

mom! Finman is teasing me äääääää.

You should think more often what level you discuss on forum.
Just killing time.

Inpecting douple brood

- take roof off
- put it back.

Just clever.

Mom. It is teasing again! Ääääää

so what happened to:
BE KIND and INTERACT, NOT REACT. AGREE TO DISAGREE EVEN IF ATTACKED BY ANOTHER MEMBER - WE WILL HANDLE THE OTHER MEMBER.

If you don't agree with someone's view, EXPRESS your views rather than tear down theirs. You have the option on EVERY POST to report that post to admin, use this to quickly make us aware of a possible problem, we will take it from there.

Be kind to other members, do not put them down, bait them into fighting or do anything to create a fight whether in open forum or private messaging. Trashing another member will surely lead you toward the banishment door quickly. New members are expected to abide by the same rules as seasoned members. We believe that Ignorance of a rule is NO excuse to break it – you are expected to read the bylaws and strictly abide by them.

*A good forum adage is to always kick the ball not the player when replying to a thread that has a topic you feel strongly about

"WE WILL HANDLE THE OTHER MEMBER."
No you dont.

at least I try to be rude. Often so naive discussion that I cannot stand those national social games.

I have often suspected you of arrogance, Finman - your above disclosure now confirms this.

I wonder how many inexperienced beekeepers are being put off making enquiries here because of your frequent and now apparently intentional rudeness ?

LJ

Not that he needs it but I think Finman is good for this forum and throughout the year will put plenty of smiles on our faces than frowns. He comes across more eccentric than any Englishman could ever hope to be.

Some people on this forum have brood and a half, two or even three brood boxes per hive.

My bees have a single brood box at present.

How do those with more carry out inspections? Do you check the first brood box (or half) and then move it aside to check the bottom box? Or do you just check the underside of the top brood box for possible queen cells and not bother to look in the lower box?

Any other tips?

I had a colony on double brood last year and for me it was a faff - lifting the top brood box off each time (can be heavy) - and that was just for one colony.
In the end I changed over to 14 x 12.
Now it's just the frames which are heavy... :rolleyes:

Not that he needs it but I think Finman is good for this forum and throughout the year will put plenty of smiles on our faces than frowns. He comes across more eccentric than any Englishman could ever hope to be.

An unintentional devils advocate perhaps? Maybe we all need to keep in mind Finland is much further North than our halcyon isles.
All advice from the internet should be viewed with the thought uppermost "does that make sense and should I accept or reject the suggestion". Common sense and cynicism are healthy partners.

I agree, all to often newbees can be mislead with good intentions.

Finman gets to the point and cuts through the pleasantries...

Bit of a double edged sword tho.

Lets not get bent out of shape here, if we were all in a pub and he had said that, we would have likely laughed, taken the point and moved on.

will put plenty of smiles on our faces .

That I try too. Bekeeping is not so difficult what it is adviced here. But you may make it as difficult as you can.

What I am really angry is that beginners get something stupid to they head and experienced beeks try to encourage him to continue his stupid job.

Example: " I have a strong 6 frames colony. I want to split it"
Answers:"Yes, rear your own queens and split it to 2 frame nucs. And feed then. It is cold now".

(I have here 27C now)

Remember!

When you have a double brood or what ever, it is a site of excluder.
Try to think nursing without excluder, what bees tend to do then.

I think that excluder makes more trouple to 2 hive people than it makes good.

One box to lay ....> swarming ....> hindering operations...> splitting ...> incapable to get honey ... too small wintering clusters

Another difficulty seems to be "natural swarming tendency". If a one box colony swarms, it is not right if you think domesticated animal and serious beekeeping.

It is endless fight against swarming. I remember that when I started. It was awfull. I kept one colony 2 years and it swarmed allways when it had 4 frames of bees.

So, you buy a non swarming bee strain queen (commercial) . It does not stand one brood box either one and half. It really needs two langstroth boxes where it get its brood and pollen stores.

If you want those tiny colonies, they are such which swarm all the time and that is why they are tiny. 2 swarms per summer, and your one year work goes up to sky's blue.

Swarming = reproduction of bee is a natural thing. It is same with aggressions when bees protect their nest.

Non swarming or slow swarming is a abnormal feature, which is made by human selection. In crossings gene mistakes will be healed easily and swarming returns .

If you want swarming next summer, save the swarmed virgins.

So do you do any swarm control other than large hives and bought in queens and how often does one of your hives swarm on average.
By the way, I still do not think that rudeness helps. I learnt more about you and your beekeeping skills in the last post than I have in any other from you, it was informative helpful and polite.
Thanks

-
I cut queen wing and I do swarming inspection once a week. Strong hives are earger to swarm than week ones. 4 boxes are ready to swarm. During last years 75% of my hives have tried to swarm.

I have boosted hives with patty, and when 4 box hive has nothing to do during blooming gap, it surely find idea to swarm. But Italian is slow to swarm. Prime swarms fill 2 lanstroth boxes. Carniolan was really bad when I had them 10 years.

Yes, I have noticed that you are not willing to learn, even angels tell it to you. :)

Last edited:
-
I cut queen wing and I do swarming inspection once a week. Strong hives are earger to swarm than week ones. 4 boxes are ready to swarm. During last years 75% of my hives have tried to swarm.

I have boosted hives with patty, and when 4 box hive has nothing to do during blooming gap, it surely find idea to swarm. But Italian is slow to swarm. Prime swarms fill 2 lanstroth boxes. Carniolan was really bad when I had them 10 years.

Yes, I have noticed that you are not willing to learn, even angels tell it to you. :)

As we say in England, you certainly know how to win friends and influence people, but we say it with something called sarcasm! A type of English that often goes over the heads of educated people like you. Xxxx that's sarcastic kisses too!

As we say in England, you certainly know how to win friends and influence people,
!

Oh dear. Patient, patient, my friend!

I doupt all positive people like you. I have known those so much in municipal works.
When something really needs to take care, they surely find something else to do.

My age is 66 y. Don't teach a duck to swim.

At least your up pointing finger needs to shooted down.

I know so much that Welsh is not England

Get a roof off
put it back
job done

Last edited:
So do you do any swarm control other than large hives

I can see that your experience in beekeeping is very narrow. You invent odd quenstions all the time. You surely should know that in swarming time every hive needs inspecting.

I can see that your experience in beekeeping is very narrow. You invent odd quenstions all the time. You surely should know that in swarming time every hive needs inspecting.

Now there's an assumption that is so wrong. Yes you are older than me by six years, didn't realise that made you any better than me! And as far as bee keeping goes,I have thirty years of experience. Unlike you I don't do it as a business, I do it for pleasure, sadly it seems that you have lost the latter both in bee keeping and life.
Why do you give such good answers to questions and then ruin it with insults. To me it is water off a ducks back. I have been dealing with narrow minded people like you through all of my working life and you fail to make me rise to the bait any more, I just feel sorry for you that you are constantly trying to get a reaction, you must have had a sad childhood. Bet you were bullied at school!
Anyway, enough of this, I shall say no more, doubtless you will want the last word....losers always do!
:icon_204-2:

calm down everybody.

Finman is just, in his usual succinct way, pointing out the apparent UK obsession with bee-tinkering rather than bee-keeping.

Yes there are plenty here that promote good practice (KISS as good auld PH would put it) but it seems that many are happy either through inexperience, ignorance or sheer bloody mindedness, are happy to do twice weekly inspections (without acting on findings), following advice or schedules blindly without reading the hive in front of them etc etc and then wondering why they either get no harvest, lose colonies over winter, get overwhelmed by swarms etc.

"great - my overwintered struggling nuc has managed to get to two frames of brood barely covered by bees. i've whacked a super on top as it's spring and there is some blossom around but as it's now may and a single QC has appeared i've split the colony into two brood boxes - 1 frame of brood in each, QC in one , HM in the other - rest of frames foundation. oh and there's still blossom around so i've given both supers."

The only hives that need regular full inspections are those in teaching apiaries where their primary purpose is to educate.

Last edited:
What is succinct, right or fair about calling someone an idiot on a public forum?

Last edited:
Now there's an assumption that is so wrong. Yes you are older than me by six years, didn't realise that made you any better than me! And as far as bee keeping goes,I have thirty years of experience. Unlike you I don't do it as a business, I do it for pleasure, sadly it seems that you have lost the latter both in bee keeping and life.
Why do you give such good answers to questions and then ruin it with insults. To me it is water off a ducks back. I have been dealing with narrow minded people like you through all of my working life and you fail to make me rise to the bait any more, I just feel sorry for you that you are constantly trying to get a reaction, you must have had a sad childhood. Bet you were bullied at school!
Anyway, enough of this, I shall say no more, doubtless you will want the last word....losers always do!
:icon_204-2:

Matthew 19:16

Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back