DOH! Looking like Homer - First Year Beekeeper

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snoozypaws3000

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
Hi All,
This is my first year keeping bees after dreaming of doing so for many, many years.
I have a 6 acre smallholding in Essex and at the beginning of the year managed to get a huge pile of WBC outer hive parts for about £60 on eBay.
They were very old with paint peeling off and a few repairs necessary but had been stored for 30 years in a dry barn so were actually in pretty good nick.
There's enough for at least 6 hives [with lifts etc to take 2 supers on top of a brood box for each hive].
Bought all the boxes, frames etc new

They took ages to renovate but 4 of them are now looking spankingly gorgeous in the garden and are housing 2 nucs and 2 colonies that I got at the end of June/beginning of July from a nearby beekeeper.

I still need to get 2 roof tops, one base and two stands for the remaining two hives but will hopefully get this done soon so that I can maybe get two more hives going next year.

All 4 colonies are thriving and I am now feeling fairly confident about inspections etc [although have had more than one or two painful stings on the bonce courtesy of being way too curious and "just taking a quick look about without putting my hair back or my gear on" I know...serves me right] but my nervousness about hearing them roar like a box of little lions when disturbed has diminished and happily three of the four colonies seem to be very docile.

So far the only downsides [apart from the stings that helped me invent a few of my very own swear words] are looking like Homer Simpson in his nuclear power plant safety gear when I go out to check on my bees [such a girly] and spending far too much time being mesmerised by their comings and goings [I've even installed a little stool down there so I can sit for a while and watch].

Am looking forward to doing lots of reading and researching on all the subjects that have been up for discussion and will try my best not to ask too many dopey beginner questions - although from experience the only thing that I really know is that I don't know as much as I think I know
I may have started off a bit weirdly with a question about my first honey harvest in the honey section though!

Am hoping to gain more knowledge and experience over the years so that I can eventually contribute answers and suggestions rather than just questions.

All the best
Sky

Hi Snoozypaws, and welcome.

When my father got back into bees I remember him buying a big heap of WBC at a farm sale and refurbishing it. In memory of that I have bought an incomplete WBC and refurbed it to add to my collection- it's certainly the prettiest hive, and great for people who like painting :rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck, and enjoy!

Welcome to the forum.
You'll be amazed at how much time you will spend just watching the entrances.
Tim :)

and spending far too much time being mesmerised by their comings and goings [I've even installed a little stool down there so I can sit for a while and watch].

Sky

I think everyone does that, a very good way to forget everything going on in life whilst watching bees, Im relatively new to beekeeping too, and would take a 3 or 4 minute video of them every day!!!!!, now its down to once a week, but then I did go from one hive to three
I even did "bee counting" checking how many bees flew back in per minute, crazy or what
although I have a large garden and an out apiary on a local allotment, and a few more asking for me to put hives on, my latest thought is to buy some woodland for myself and bees
heres yesterdays clip of my girls

http://youtu.be/N7aJKIex1xU

although I have national hives, I much prefer homemade top bar hives

Welcome Sky.
There are many things worse than bee watching!:)

Beewatching is also a firm hobby in this household, last week I was thrilled to see a worker in the act of tossing out a drone from the hive.
I can't tell you how excited I was at being able to witness it.

Easily pleased I know.

Many thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.
Glad to know I'm not the only one addicted to bee watching!
X

Welcome !

I have a 6 acre smallholding

Fantastic ! ..... Ive just managed after a near two year wait to secure my 160mt square allotment... 6 acres ... what potential !

my latest thought is to buy some woodland for myself and bees

Now , that is a plan !

One I would love, have been planning and hopefully will realise some time in the future. a nice bit of broadleaved woodland to encourage wildlife and setup some hives.

Cheers Brian.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back