Dogs?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two Flatcoated Retrievers

.22 Weihrauch HW97 with Simmons scope
AYA Yeoman side by side 12 bore
Silouette over & under 12 bore (for clays)
Old Spanish side by side hammer action with Damascus barrels (too dangerous to use now!!)
Cogswell & Harrison single folding .410

Whats your favorite for sport,the .22?

I used to have a Weihrauch HW80.

The .22 sits by the back door and is used mainly against crows and magpies pinching eggs from the henhouse, but is perfect for shooting rabbits over a warren. The AYA has short barrels and is great for rough shooting in woods, I also use the over and under if decoying pigeons or shooting in open ground

img052.jpg

This is my old girl ,makes a great foot muff :). no malice in her, she tolerates all man or beast (fireworks no! no! no!.)

John

Victor I dont want to teach you to suck eggs but if you want to add a picture just click the envelope picture in the top bar and enter the url.

I altered it for you.

Dogs do make me laugh,they will takle anything except loud noises that are to close.

Ah yes vets thats awhole new ball game!

A few years back an old chap I new took his Collie into the vets to have a tumour removed,the dog had to stay in overnight for a drip etc.

The old boy spent the whole evening keep looking at his wife and fidgeting in his armchair,in the end his wife said "For gods sake if you are that worried about him telephone the vet and see if the vet nurse has been in to check on him".

So he telephones the vet at home and says "how is he" and tells him how he is worried about the dog being alone for the evening at the surgery a mile from the vets home.

The vet replied "Hes fine,he is curled up in front of the arga at my feet in the kitchen.

...i added a pic of my Doggy in my Album on my profile - also, some of the bees (RIP :() and a couple of the chickens - including the ex-battery's.

I love Borders Dave.

My last dog was going to be a Border but the local travelers had some JRT's for sale so we got one,5 weeks old with docked tails ?80

My kids love him,to calm him down I took him to th vets at 5 months old but it seems to of made no difference 2 years later.

Am thinking of getting a dog

Sister's dog we've been dog sitting is going home today. We will really miss her. Now we are thinking of getting a dog. Advice please.

Thinking of a medium sized dog that will be able to go jogging with me, is not too hairy, won't eat the cats and can be left alone for periods of up to 3 hours.
Am thinking of a rescue dog. Have seen a lot of greyhound/lurcher/whippet type dogs a are available. Why don't people want them? Would something like that be a good first dog?

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/rehoming/our_dogs/dog/?dog=115409&index=3&rehomingcentreid=1604&pn=

Have seen a lot of greyhound/lurcher/whippet type dogs a are available. Why don't people want them? Would something like that be a good first dog?

They are bred to chase and kill, not good if you have cats, chickens or pet rabbits.

I would recommend a retriever type, lab, flatcoat or golden.

Thanks doorman. Not good with the guinea pigs or cats then. The quest continues.

Hello,
I have three American Pitbull Terriers, Tyson, Patch and Pirate. They are great and I would never have any other kind of dog after having a pitbull. These are real dogs -very intelligent, loyal, fast and very powerful. We don't give them any aggressive training and the dogs are very friendly with whoever is with us. They are very wary of strangers on their own and things that they are not used to. The will not enter situations that they are not at ease with.
Best regards
Norton.

Dogs

Hello,
Yes I think people are scared of their reputation. One thing is sure - do not come into our yard at night!
Usually the dogs are locked up in large cages and they are let out twice a day to exercise and play. All access to the yard is chained and locked when the dogs are out of the cages. I have just uploaded some photos to my albums - the biggest problem is to get them to stay still long enough to get a shot in.

Here is a nice video about a pitbull called Wallace.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNicN-o1VyA
There are many other videos on Youtube showing aggressive pitbulls.

Really it is how you train the dog to behave - they don't need any aggressive training - if they feel threatened or that someone is threatening me or the family they will bite and then it's a big problem.
By far the most vicious dog we ever had was a Cyprus poodle. This hairy excuse for a dog would maul anyone she didn't fancy that entered our yard - but she never left the yard without permission and was the best watchdog we ever had.
She made the mistake of going to sleep one hot summer afternoon under the beekeeping truck and was crushed when reversing the truck.
Best regards
Norton.

Thanks for taking time to help.

I was impressed with how much the dog in the video had learned.

Are they always very territorial? Teenagers - friends of my teenagers- walk into through back and front gates.

I don't understand why dogs are kept in crates. Also I see some people have them sleep in crates.

Karin

Last edited:
Hello,
If the visitors are with us it is OK or if it is someone they know and trust. It is illegal here to let any dog roam around unattended. We have Echinococcus. All dogs have microchips and they have to be locked up when unaccompanied. If a dog is in the street unattended the police or vets dept will shoot it on sight!
Best regards
Norton

Polyanwood - don't give up on the Greyhound idea yet. I have 7 chickens and 5 cats and my Greyhound hasn't shown the slightest interest in chasing or harming any of them. Granted it was an unraced one which means it either wasn't very quick or it didn't like chasing the hare. Anyway there are plenty of unraced ones around on the Racing Greyhound Trust websites. All of the dogs are assessed regarding their nature before rehoming and come speyed or neutered, microchiped, have a coat, a lead and are fully vaccinated. All for a donation. Just as an example of where you can get them from this is the site I used which is just outside Wolverhampton -

http://www.rgtmonmore.co.uk/

I think they are brilliant and wouldn't hesitate having another. Here is my Greyhound - Molly

349551650.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back