Does this look like Queen hatched?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickhodge

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Some may have been following my AS happenings on Saturday afternoon.

My dilemma is I was pretty sure the QC was uncapped then and if it was it's only 5 days. Maybe it was capped?

Went in last night and now have no capped QCs (some have RJ but no sign of larvae) and this one. Has she hatched or is this destruction by workers. Certainly looks more like a cesaerian than a natural birth if she has.

The hive was pretty calm and quiet but as this was on the 8th inspection frame I was not looking for a queen.

What do people reckon?

It looks like destruction to me Nick, I'm sorry to say. As you say, also, it's way too early for a full term delivery.

queen cell

A virgin will do this to a queen cell to kill the queen inside or the bees thought it a dud and started to pull it down look for a opened queen cell there opened at the bottom of the queen cell like a trap door.

That looks like some brace comb that has become dislodged and stuck between two frames.

Maybe the photo is not good? It is definately a cell (along with quite a few others). I was pretty sure none were capped when inspecting AS(ing) Saturday, but maybe this one was.

I'm leaving now until Sat/Sun when I'll take a thorough look and if I can see no queen maybe try a test frame from another hive to see if they build more QCs.

Guess that's sensible next steps?

Latest posts

Back