Does supercedure consist of just one QC?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had the most beautiful capped QC you could imagine one year with queen still there. It was a dud and 3 weeks later they swarmed on two new QCs! Keep on top of it!

I had similar, one hive superseded for a few years, then on their last attempt, swarmed on 2 cells

...but I believe supercedure is actually rarer than many people on this forum make out!

Hmmm. How common would you say supercedure is? In August 2004, I shook 50 colonies through a queen excluder. 17 had multiple queens, or 30% of the colonies superceded their queen some time before August. I wouldn't consider that rare.

Supercedure is a good trait (as long as other traits are good, too). It gives continuity and avoids smaller swarmed colonies failing due to lack of foragers with a failing queen.

I would expect most swarmed colonies change their queen soon after founding a new nest. That would mean that both the parent colony and the swarmed colony continue with new queens.

Think about it - queens do not live forever.

RAB

Latest posts

Back