Does my colony need re-queening??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have both eggs and larvae in there .
Leave them alone !!!!!!!.

Remember the grumpy bees will be the grumpy bees until the bees off of the new queen come through , in which case if the Queen is off gentle stock her offspring should be !!!!!!!.
People say the change of temper of colony occurs within days of requeening
Not so! it depends on why they were grumpy in the first place ie queenless bees can be a little grumpy and yes a new queen usually sorts this out but a naturally grumpy colony won't calm down until the grumpy so and so's have been replaced

John Wilkinson

You have both eggs and larvae in there .
Leave them alone !!!!!!!.

Remember the grumpy bees will be the grumpy bees until the bees off of the new queen come through , in which case if the Queen is off gentle stock her offspring should be !!!!!!!.
People say the change of temper of colony occurs within days of requeening
Not so! it depends on why they were grumpy in the first place ie queenless bees can be a little grumpy and yes a new queen usually sorts this out but a naturally grumpy colony won't calm down until the grumpy so and so's have been replaced

John Wilkinson

It was the aggression that was the mystery to me. the original queen bore very tranquil bees. The colony I artificially swarmed off of her are soooooooooooo easy going it's untrue!

But sadly she swarmed anyway in spite of my best efforts, The bees in there now would have been born to the same queen and used to be tranquil too. It was this contradiction that was the puzzle.

I will need to go see them at some point now the honey is off to put the Apiguard in but I will leave them a week or so til we get back from our hols then now to give them a chance to calm down properly.

thanks again for the help.

Latest posts

Back