Does anyone else get into a mess?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Went into a hive today and they had built comb everywhere. Needed to get in brood boxes to check and they had brood in where it should be and honey all round top, crossing through into next frames all along the bottom brood box. Terrible when you have comb dropping off and honey oozing everywhere...what a mess. They had only drawn out 1/2 a frame in super I added last week.
Maybe trying foundation-less brood frames wasn't the best idea :-/
Now I feel I've set them back about 2 weeks as some brood also fell off as well. Not a good inspection :-(

I think I may have suggested that might happen! I have been into many hives that have built their own comb and rarely is it straight. Some bees seem to do it perfectly but others....well, I think you might have found the problem. Try a frame at a time, i.e. One foundationless between two of foundation.
Get tips from those that use no foundation all the time, for me , I like to keep it simple, even then it goes wrong!
If you want cut comb then I use thin, wireless foundation.
Best of luck sorting it out
E

We all make mistakes, it's the best way to learn!

Don't beat yourself up about it, just have a think what changes you need to make to help things go right next time :)

Well my fault really as started them off with cut out comb strung in some of the frames as I have been changing over from Nationals to Langstroths. They have built all over the place. I cleaned up a bit last inspection but they just went over the top.

Well my fault really as started them off with cut out comb strung in some of the frames as I have been changing over from Nationals to Langstroths. They have built all over the place. I cleaned up a bit last inspection but they just went over the top.

Would have been easier to just stick a bit of pollypipe heated and squidged to fit to convert the Nationals to go into the Uber Too Big Langs!

Yeghes da

I think anyone who says they've never "messed up" with their bees is being "economical with the truth". At the moment running swarms into an artifical trees is a "steep learning curve" :)

I think anyone who says they've never "messed up" with their bees is being "economical with the truth". At the moment running swarms into an artifical trees is a "steep learning curve" :)

yes yes........I had almost forgotten that.
How's it going, Derek ?

Latest posts

Back