do you use plastic frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wightbees

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
How long is a piece of string
Sorry if this is posted twice ,as it's disappeared off my pc screen.
If you have used these how did you get on with them.I know there was a few who where going to try them.I still have not but will if the reviews are good.

anyone know where my thread went, it vanished lol

I looked at the ones from bee hive bits, but as I am on a bit of a tight budget I couldn't justify the initial outlay when you compare them to wooden frames.

I've attached a picture of a drawn out plastic frame. It's a Dadant shallow depth as used in the Swienty medium poly Langstroth. (Before anyone asks the top bar of Dadant and Langstroth are the same).
They worked well. They cost around £1 each from Swienty, or a bit less if you go direct to the manufacturer Anel (please note spelling).
Another bonus is not having to buy wax foundation. You just use your own recycled wax melted and applied to the plastic foundation. And they never break in the extractor.

And also supplied by MB I believe.

Last edited:
Interesting, I found this on their site.

plaisiodiafragma_3plaision.jpg

3 frame queen trapping cage, single frame version also available.
Sorry Martin off topic but thought it was worth posting. :p

I'm not sure what the OP was referring to but there appear to be two types of plastic frame, the ones I investigated which are snap closed frames which take standard foundation.

56c2a4e49e.png

and the ones with plastic frame and foundation as described by Chris B

NHHoneyBee204.JPG

1st Year

Hi

I'm using plastic frames ala ****************...and everything looks fine so far, but I only started last August

roy

Thanks for the feedback, there is another type where the side bars are plastic(Hoffman type). And you put wooden top and bottom bars in them.The idea being that when renewing frames it's more cost efficient.

Back