Do nucs get treated differently with regards to winter feeding?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I aim for 4…often becomes 6
I’ve finished feeding syrup and got my four hives up to weight for winter. Having been through a couple of winters now I’m reasonably confident they’ll come into spring with a frame or two of excess stores (I’ll keep an eye on them though).

This is my first year overwintering a couple of nucs as well. I’ve been giving them syrup too and they’ve just stopped taking it recently. Can I just treat them the same way as the hives or do I need to be more cautious with them…should I have fondant on them as a ‘just in case’?

treat them just the same, feed them well and just keep an eye on their weight over the winter. If they are good, frugal bees they should last well into the spring without any fondant. Most years, when I overwinter nucs I end up taking frames of stores out in the spring to give the queen laying space

treat them just the same, feed them well and just keep an eye on their weight over the winter. If they are good, frugal bees they should last well into the spring without any fondant. Most years, when I overwinter nucs I end up taking frames of stores out in the spring to give the queen laying space
Got it, thanks 👍

Haven’t got a feel for weight yet when it comes to nucs so will just give them all the syrup they’ll take

Latest posts

Back