Do I need fondant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melias

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have two national hives on 14x12 frames. In early October, each was fed with over 20 kilos of sugar (in syrup form).

I've seen lots of posts about feeding fondant. My question is how do I know if I need to give my bees fondant? Frankly, hefting the hives gives me no idea how much stores are left.

If your worried about it, give them some, you can always take off any unused store frames in spring for a later use.
Better live bees that dead ones, but work on your hefting skills, heft your hives at times when you know what they have, then you can then relate that info to times when you can't get in to the hives to look.

Well you might want to do some research to work out the empty weight of your units. From that base line you can use a spring balance to see what your actual weight is, and by some subtraction lo there is the figure you want.

However if all that is too tricky buy a block of fondant, try your local baker, and put it on and relax.

PH

Well you might want to do some research to work out the empty weight of your units. From that base line you can use a spring balance to see what your actual weight is, and by some subtraction lo there is the figure you want.

However if all that is too tricky buy a block of fondant, try your local baker, and put it on and relax.

PH

Or if half reasonable and you're still worried a dampened bag of sugar?

14x12s, that were full in autumn, should not need any fondant yet - feeding not necessary until much later on, if at all...

what is the best way to feed fondant?
regards paul

Over the hole in the crownboard, under a take-away container, set into hard insulation or surrounded by soft insulation. Some feed it direct on the frames but I feel the fewer times the hive is cooled and messed about the better.

regards paul

Ooooh nooo don't start that one off again!
Personally I fill a plastic take away carton full of fondant with a hole cut in the lid to match the feeder hole (or whatever) in the crown board. Invert the carton over the hole put an eke or spare empty super over the crown board and insulate (with whatever you use - I use two sheets of kingspan, one with a hole in to go over the carton)Roof on, job done.
Some people put a slab of fondant (sometimes wrapped in clingfilm with a few slits in) directly on to the top bars of the frame.

Put it in a plastic bag cut small hole in it slap it over the feed hole.

Try to take measures to stop it drying. Example: thin 'slices' will evaporate far more quickly than a big block. If the fondant is dry, bees need to soften it to use (i.e. they will need access to water, not necessarily easy when clustered against winter).

Personally, I find the plastic containers a good option, as the fondant is enclosed in almost every plane, though it is possible that bees will be clustered away from the crownboard feed hole and may 'not be bothered' to find it. Take-away containers fit nicely in a hole cut in 50mm Kingspan, thereby providing insulation at the same time.

Hefting isn't an exact science, as you might imagine. I have 14 x 12's and a reasonable indicator of adequate supplies is the 'grab and groan' reaction. If I don't groan, I probably need to take swift action!

Stick it in cling film, cut an "X" and put it down so the cuts are to the bees.

PH

regards paul

Best place is on top of the frames within an eke shallow enough to just cover over the heap of fondant. I put the fondant, about 1 kg at a time on an upturned ice cream carton lid and let them get it - and they do. The warmth of the cluster keeps it softish for their benefit. I don't mess around with insulation as I cover the crownboard holes and stick corks or whatever in the roof ventilation holes.

Latest posts

Back