Do drones leave with the departing swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomH

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hived a swarm collected last week. Had a quick peak through the polycarb crown board today and could see a couple of drones, on the top of some of the frames. Swarm has only been in the hive 8 days, so not long enough have raised their own.

Curious as to whether these could be drones that travelled with the original swarm, or is it likely just drones from another hive, begging a free meal?

Thanks

Thank you, always learning.

Interesting some do leave with the swarm then. Would have thought the certainly less energetic option would be to remain in the parent hive. Although I suppose that by leaving with the swarm and setting up in a new location it helps further extend their range and the spread of genetic material.

Interesting some do leave with the swarm then. Would have thought the certainly less energetic option would be to remain in the parent hive. Although I suppose that by leaving with the swarm and setting up in a new location it helps further extend their range and the spread of genetic material.
Maybe they just get carried away with it all?

Maybe they just get caught up in all the excitement? 😊

Typical males. Always looking for opportunities to stray? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back