DIY polyhives - is there such a thing?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
materials, I just wondered how cheap you can make a hive for with a bit of time and the skill. I'm currently at have time to work on my skills :)

materials, I just wondered how cheap you can make a hive for with a bit of time and the skill. I'm currently at have time to work on my skills :)

My bar hive costs are as follows:
wood : pallets . Free
OMF: bought in a roll approx cut to length. £2 approx
Roof felt: bought in a roll and cut to length £3 approx
Screws: bought in boxes: £2 approx
Glue: PU glue approx £2
Filler: approx £3
Topbars : bought as 2m lengths from B&Q: £4 approx.

Varnish/sand paper: £3

Total cost approx.£19.

My bar hive costs are as follows:
wood : pallets . Free
OMF: bought in a roll approx cut to length. £2 approx
Roof felt: bought in a roll and cut to length £3 approx
Screws: bought in boxes: £2 approx
Glue: PU glue approx £2
Filler: approx £3
Topbars : bought as 2m lengths from B&Q: £4 approx.

Varnish/sand paper: £3

Total cost approx.£19.

thermal conductance on wooden top bar hives are around ~10W/K when calculated.
mine around ~0.4W/K to 0.2W/K (need to take measuements on the latest)

if value for money was rated on thermal conductance?

Briliant Derek.
Have used Recticel to make ekes for my Pains polys....just cutting out the centre of a flat sheet.
I will definitely try to make the whole thing now with your piccies as something to aspire to.
Have you tried Gorillaexpanding polyurethane glue with recticel?

does anyone know if 25mm would be strong enough for 4 frame nucs?

There lies the problem with home consruction poly - the strength and durabilty when handled with a full colony inside - important to most(?).

I used 25mm for 3 frames the nucs have done well through the summer, I like the way weak nucs manage to raise brood in good numbers. I was advised on this forum to line with Formica and with a wooden entrance block they've lasted well. I can see a few improvements and at 70p a unit this will be a winter project.
Ps unfortunately only one colony survived the wasps

You would need to skin it on the outside with either thin ply (as thin as can be cost effectively obtained say 3mm) or very thin ally sheet. (0.5mm or thinner). (formica would work also)

The composite structure will be very strong.

Strength and Durabilty can be easily achieved but it takes careful thought on the design and choice of materials and methods

I wouldnt go below 35mm without a full skin on the foam

Last edited:
i have made national hives stuff called kingspan its much stronger than polystyrene and cuts and glues easy.i got offcuts out of a skip.its used in the building trade

Latest posts

Back