Disaster - Poly-nuc overheating!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder. Swarms are different size. What then?
I join small swarms if they are under one langstroth box.
Nuc size swarms are a nuisance.

warmer than a single nuc . and of course it all depends on the materials and construction details to get a high enough MCR.(mass conductance ratio)

I just would not hive a small swarm of around three hundred bees in a double national sized nuc of around 40L as you would.

And mini nuc size, about 350 bees.
Yes, hard work to join those that you get 2-box full , and catch them.

Langstroth box has about 12000 swarm bees. Devided with 350 = 340 swarms. 34 swarms in a hour with 10 hours work.

Last edited:
I've had the wax melt out of the frames obscuring omf in a nuc...,happened overnight to a big swarm which died as a result. Starter strips only from then on. Inexperienced operator error.
I recon yours left because there were too many bees for the space and ventilation provided.

Last edited:
I've had the wax melt out of the frames obscuring omf in a nuc...,happened overnight to a big swarm which died as a result. Starter strips only from then on. Inexperienced operator error.
I recon yours left because there were too many bees for the space and ventilation provided.

Why they did not came out to cool themselves as they usually do?

I reckon they absconded as soon as your back was turned so there were no bees in there to control the temperature in the nuc.

My swarm is bigger than your swarm ;) Are we talking 5 frame poly nucs or 6 frame? The biggest problem is the OMF, I seal it to prevent clustering underneath.
I agree with JBM, bees absconded beforehand.

No, I've just belatedly remembered: there was evidence of considerable drawing of the foundation.

I shut them pending relocation Finman

Latest posts

Back