Destroy Queen cells?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artisan

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I found the Queen dead and 4 x QC's 7 days after I had marked the Queen. Can only assume
that I did for her.

I was going to leave all the QC's and wait for the new Queen to emerge.

But the more posts I read, a lot of advice is given to knock down all but one/couple of QC's.

I didn't want to choose a duff QC to leave (If that is possible) and also thought that the first Queen out would kill off the other QC's ?

Any guidance gratefully received.

Peter

Some say leave two- others only one.
Personally I leave the best- a good ripe one ,but I also gently remove all others intact and put into an incubator- so an insurance against a failure.

So- from me- leave only one unless you are prepared to risk that they may swarm with the newly hatched queen, leaving the 'due to hatch' to remain.
Your choice:D

Personally I leave the best- a good ripe one ,but I also gently remove all others intact and put into an incubator- so an insurance against a failure.

So- from me- leave only one unless you are prepared to risk that they may swarm with the newly hatched queen, leaving the 'due to hatch' to remain.

I agree with Heather on this one - I made the mistake of thinking that when they hatched they would fight to the death and I would be left with the strongest queen - didn't happen - they b***dy swarmed and I was left with 'NOT A LOT'.

To be on the safe side, or so I thought, I cut out a couple and made up a mini nuc /mating hive to hatch them - have a lovely queen and coming on well - the thought was to put the queen into the queenless hive but this now has its own queen so I am building up a mini colony with a little TLC as it is in my garden.

Worth trying as a back-up (mini nuc / mating hive was from Modern Beekeeping and is poly).

Thebhoy

You might tell us the size and any other details/history of the colony. Might be good/useful in order to be able to advise on some sound basis rather than give a guess in the dark!

Regards, RAB

Was a 5 frame National Nuc of Welsh Blacks at the end of May put into a 14x12 Brood Body with
another 14x12 brood above intending to move the Queen up and remove the lower
body after 21 days.
Added a super when top brood getting full.

Top brood box now full of capped honey and both boxes full of bees. But not drawing out the super frames.

Was hoping to naturally requeen and let them overwinter as is and sort out the two brood
boxes next spring.

If you have a full box of brood on 14 x 12 (probably with wild comb below?), I would consider splitting at this stage and going to two colonies. There is a severe risk of the first virgin leaving on emergence if the boxes are very full of bees.

You could carefully check for a ripening queen cell and discard the other cell closer to hatching time to reduce the risk of losing a swarm.

Colonies will easily over-winter on a single 14 x 12 brood box. A double 14 x 12 is far too much when filled with stores for winter and likely there will be a full box left next spring - and it might be solid if there's any ivy stored later on.

What is the spacing of the super frames? Often they will start drawing them, if closer together - and then spread them apart as necessary, removing some even.

I try to avoid a full box of foundation when possible (alternate foundation with drawn comb), but you do not have that luxury at the moment?

Am I right in guessing you have not done a beekeeping course? And do not have a mentor? Get along to your local BKA and see how they do it, is my advice.

Regards, RAB

You could carefully check for a ripening queen cell

I think you'd better explain how Artisan can recognise one of these ... Especially as Artisan seems to imply are all currently sealed.

No wild comb as I made a wooden block to sit below the the 5 frames from the Nuc
to keep the beespace correct.

I have done a Beekeeping course and am a member of a local society but they dont
meet during the summer and I don't have a mentor as yet as just moved to the area.

Therefor my question here.

Let's see what artisan decides to do first. He knows when he marked the queen and can likely count. Two splits are much less likely to swarm with a virgin queen than a very full double 14 x 12 with possibly a full brood box of mostly capped brood. And could take a chance with one cell in each with less risk, too.

RAB

Heather, can I ask what you mean by "incubator" and where might I find one, thanks

thanks for that HM, got page but which one/model or would all do?

Any accurate incubator will do,better to have a fan assisted one though....i use a banbury cross 24 with a rack in which the grafting bars sit into slots,and will take 100 cells on ten bars, also used to use a very large curfew incubator. Generator is also a handy thing to have.

Burren,

Anticipating your next question - If you get an incubator it needs to be set to run at 35C and the water trays need to be full to keep the humidity high (75%)

Cheers Mike.

thanks for that mjbee:seeya:

Latest posts

Back