Desperately in need of your help.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Monsieur Abeille;71898 said:
Give the girl a break, she was asking for help and advice on a project, and admits that her knowledge is thin. She now knows that CCD is not relevant yet in the UK.

Charlotte - sorry can't help, like others a new keeper this year.

And vet students have very high school grades and have fought very hard for their places so the vet schools would surely expect a good level of country-relevant basic knowledge before getting people to complete a questionnaire which will unfortunately have little statistical relevance in its current format. The AS project pre-vet which my 16yo must do this year expects this.

And small hive beetle isn't here yet either...hence how the questionnaire needs some reading and a rethink quickly...especially with the limited timescale.

admin;71986 said:
Charlotte was kind enough to ask me first if it would be ok to post.

I did warn here that she may get some flak with here request,but she was more than happy to take it on the chin and post.

I have a 16yo who has wanted to be a large animal vet since she was ten and is piling in the work experience at every chance even before the much-dreaded GCSE results. She would prefer pointers such as no CCD, no SHB, and what do your winter figures hope to illustrate? The country and statistical relevance of the project is highly relevant. So I know a little of what I speak.

Good luck Charlotte :).

I have dutifully filled it in but added why not the 2010 figures and why not include nucs overwintered as they alone make a large statistical difference.

PH

Item 2. Colonies at the beginning or end of the year would make sense. Otherwise numbers can go up and down hugely especially if making nucs.
Item 3. Daft question.
Item 5. If the farmer plants rape, then I get rape that year; otherwise most/all of the above in variable proportions. Is there a point in this question?

Sorry Charlotte, not a very positive response.... :)

What is the surver for?

For goodness' sake just fill the damned thing in and send it you miserable lot! What harm can it do to be nice?

wbchive;72179 said:
For goodness' sake just fill the damned thing in and send it you miserable lot! What harm can it do to be nice?

That's not a great attitude. Getting good marks is, I'm certain, very important for Charlotte. At this time of year beekeepers with several or more hives are very busy...honey bottling, sorting varroa treatments, planning for winter etc so the answers may appear brusque to some...but surely better than none.

Filling in a flawed questionnaire won't help her at all and I'm sure the bits that need changing should be mentioned. Maybe it would be best if Charlotte contacts her nearest BKA and see if they can find someone with a bit of time and experience to talk her through what she needs to know to make her survey relevant and punchy and get the marks she needs.

And I know how she feels...I have a Masters thesis survey on hold which is a NIGHTMARE :S.

wbchive;72179 said:

WBC, once Charlotte graduates and hopefully moves on to publish and the like she'll get all the peer review she'll ever want (and it will be polarised and in part protectionist toward the respondants view / prior publications / research)! Rather nice of the forum members to provide her with valuable pre-professional experience for free. There is a responsibility to put as much (or more) thought into the questions you ask; as you expect your respondants to put into the answer!

I gotta say there seems to be a lot of flak over nothing here. The questions about CCD and beetles are entirely relevant as if you direct your stern gazes to the top of the paper, you will see the simple request to Type your country of origin here.
I would be so bold as to state that this is not exclusive to the UK and therefore questions about CCD and beetles would be conspicuous by their absence.

I filled in the form and emailed it to the address given but my server has just bounced it back "not possible to deliver"!! any ideas anyone?

wbchive;72179 said:

Frithgar;72228 said:
I gotta say there seems to be a lot of flak over nothing here. The questions about CCD and beetles are entirely relevant as if you direct your stern gazes to the top of the paper, you will see the simple request to Type your country of origin here.
I would be so bold as to state that this is not exclusive to the UK and therefore questions about CCD and beetles would be conspicuous by their absence.

:iagree:

MJBee,
3 main causes of email failure:

1) her email server is down; your email would only fail after a certain time-out of some days, then the sending server gives up and returns it to you
[Not likely in this case, and very rare]

2) your local machine can't send emails (can't contact its first SMTP server, or your log in credentials are wrong);
[This is possible, but if you can send a test email to someone else, this one is quickly ruled out. Sometime this can happen if your Internet connection is a bit dodgy and you tried to send when it was temporarily out; trying again should work.]

3) You've tried sending to a non-existent email address. She may have spelt it wrongly (not likely as others have already succeeded) or you may have read it or typed it wrongly.
[This is my bet. Double-check the address, and the details of the failed email sent back to you. Do it again with correct address]

If this fixes it, fine. If not, PM me the details of what was sent back and I'll try and work out what your email server's complaint is.

HTH

FG

Erichalfbee;71934 said:
Didn't do projects when I was at vet school. Did nothing about bees :eek:

Same for me. Apparently they've only just started teaching about bees.
Glad we didn't do projects mind, meant I could take it easy & go to the bar most of the year & only work hard & panic when exams were near.

sputnam;73236 said:
Same for me. Apparently they've only just started teaching about bees.
Glad we didn't do projects mind, meant I could take it easy & go to the bar most of the year & only work hard & panic when exams were near.

Which vet school ........ just nosey

Hi Firegazer,
The following is the email from postmaster:-

This is the mail system at host mwinf2022.orange.fr.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<[email protected]>: host hhw2kex03.rvc.ac.uk[195.195.217.144] said: 550
Message not delivered for policy reasons. Please email [email protected]
(in reply to end of DATA command)

I copied and pasted her address so no error there. Curious to know why and what "policy reasons" are
Cheers Mike

MJBee,
it means the receiving email server, the one Charlotte accesses to download her email, took a good look at the offered email message and rejected it for some reason. Your email server then passed this back to you, to let you know what happened.

Reasons?

It could be anything related to your email server or the message (or its attachments). I agree the address is correct.

It could be that your IP, or the IP of your email server has got onto a 'blacklist' and the final server has a list of those 'bad' IP ranges and rejects messages from those addresses to cut down on Nigerian banking invites. This sometimes happens with cable internet users where one user in a street does something dodgy and everyone local gets binned.

It could be the message itself - it could be too long, the attachment could be too big, or the message might include malware (your machine has been compromised) or have matched some spam filter rule.

If you have a web interface for your email (most ISPs give you one, or you may have a Hotmail/Gmail account too) try using that to send the message - it cuts out most of the possible problems above.

Let me know if there's still a problem, or send me your doc and I'll send it.

HTH

FG

email it back to me at my university email address [email protected] by Monday the 9th of August 2010.

I reckon that the email address was provided on a temporary basis, exclusively for the purpose of the survey. I also think that somehow the expiry date was made 8th August, intentionally or unintentionally. What's the betting that a batch routine that ran after midnight on the morning of Sunday and expired the email address early.

On the other hand if a great swage of emails have been bounced, it probably means that there is a limit on the size of her inbox and it's been exceeded - policy.

Should I just keep guessing ? :) :) I'm happy to be wrong from time to time.

Her email address looks permanent to me, but the filled up inbox sounds like a good thought.

Re-sending from a webmail account should test that out.

FG

Firegazer;73457 said:
MJBee,
it means the receiving email server, the one Charlotte accesses to download her email, took a good look at the offered email message and rejected it for some reason. Your email server then passed this back to you, to let you know what happened.

Reasons?

It could be anything related to your email server or the message (or its attachments). I agree the address is correct.

It could be that your IP, or the IP of your email server has got onto a 'blacklist' and the final server has a list of those 'bad' IP ranges and rejects messages from those addresses to cut down on Nigerian banking invites. This sometimes happens with cable internet users where one user in a street does something dodgy and everyone local gets binned.

It could be the message itself - it could be too long, the attachment could be too big, or the message might include malware (your machine has been compromised) or have matched some spam filter rule.

If you have a web interface for your email (most ISPs give you one, or you may have a Hotmail/Gmail account too) try using that to send the message - it cuts out most of the possible problems above.

Let me know if there's still a problem, or send me your doc and I'll send it.

HTH

FG

Think this post probably includes the true reason for the bounce. Unlikely to be a full or expired mailbox as these normally carry the relevant explanation.

Much more likely to be a suspected spam, or even possibly mailserver been temporarily configured to reject Word documents, though this would make the survey tough to complete!

Latest posts

Back