Demaree - drones down south so tempted to do one

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
now restacked nicely and hope n pray we get some good supercedure queen cells for me to increase - also have a super on top of the stack with a release hole for the drones.
Well done
I have an entrance over the top excluder
I like to leave two frames of brood and a couple of drawn frames.
Usually I put the inspection board in to cosy up the space.

Well done
I have an entrance over the top excluder
I like to leave two frames of brood and a couple of drawn frames.
Usually I put the inspection board in to cosy up the space.

ah good idea inspection board in ... getting a bit cooler this week so might just do that

just delighted i found the queen ... must be all your training Dani !! - not too much smoke and using marigolds (using elastic bands to keep the cuffs down) !

ok so inspected the top BB today .. 8 days after making this up .... was all prepared in the sunny lunchtime (tho cold wind) to whip the qc's into a nuc or 2 .....

get the top off and not a SINGLE qc at all .... there is me counting chickens .......

yours ever confused.

ok so inspected the top BB today .. 8 days after making this up .... was all prepared in the sunny lunchtime (tho cold wind) to whip the qc's into a nuc or 2 .....

get the top off and not a SINGLE qc at all .... there is me counting chickens .......

yours ever confused.
They don't always make QC's and when they do, very few (it's not the panicked making QC's of anything and everything that some insist (it's a supersedure instinct rather than emergency) If the queen is young with strong pheromones, they don't always feel the need

ah good to know ... will keep rolling tho ... I do want to increase so was hoping for some nice supercedure cells ! perhaps in a few weeks I might get lucky and the weather might improve

or could I add another super to the sandwich filling next time I inspect to increase the distance ?

Last edited:
Make up a some nucs and walk away or cover the crown board hole completely so no pheromones can get thru.

Last edited:
ah good to know ... will keep rolling tho ... I do want to increase so was hoping for some nice supercedure cells ! perhaps in a few weeks I might get lucky and the weather might improve

or could I add another super to the sandwich filling next time I inspect to increase the distance ?
Or alternatively, I wonder if you scraped back a section of cells under some in the centre with eggs in them, (like Enrico suggested on another post recently- not to do with this mind), would the bees be more likely to draw queen cells?

I wonder if you scraped back a section of cells under some in the centre with eggs in them, would the bees be more likely to draw queen cells?
I used to do that diligently - a lot of the time they would ignore the area totally and draw cells somewhere else

Latest posts

Back