Demaree - drones down south so tempted to do one

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 hives
Want to expand this year so keen to get on with a demaree on one of my hives that is looking strongest - drones out in the hives but given the cold weather (esp at nights) ..... should I hang back ?

I think I waited the other year and blew it as they started with the queen cells !

Yours in sarf london

It really does depend on the status of your colony, is it strong enough at the moment? I added two supers to a double brood today, it's a good, strong colony and drones are about but not in great numbers just yet. Next inspection will probably be D day.

As Steve said, it's about the state of the colony, nothing else. I have done 2 demaree to date with one of the hive on its 3rd super. I have added a 2nd brood box on another hive with 10 frames of brood.

Want to expand this year so keen to get on with a demaree on one of my hives that is looking strongest - drones out in the hives but given the cold weather (esp at nights) ..... should I hang back ?

I think I waited the other year and blew it as they started with the queen cells !

Yours in sarf london
I should have done it on my most prolific hive 4 weeks ago when it was packed on brood and a half and 2 supers. Hesitated due to the colder weather and next time I looked 2 weeks later there were a shed load of swarm cells so had to do an A/S.

West London here. My one I hastily did 3 weeks or so ago worked like a charm. Ive done another 2.and have my eye on another 2 in a couple of weeks. Ive added my drone-release boards as per Emyr's suggestions. Already taken some lovely QCs for increase...

West London here. My one I hastily did 3 weeks or so ago worked like a charm. Ive done another 2.and have my eye on another 2 in a couple of weeks. Ive added my drone-release boards as per Emyr's suggestions. Already taken some lovely QCs for increase...
Fabulous!

Finally did it today at lunch time .... and this is the first time I confidently found the queen and ensured she was in the bottom box ! - previous years have been tragic with shaking bees into the bottom box.

@jenkinsbrynmair I left the queen on one frame of brood in teh bottom brood box ... so at least she has some company .....trust that is ok

now restacked nicely and hope n pray we get some good supercedure queen cells for me to increase - also have a super on top of the stack with a release hole for the drones.

@jenkinsbrynmair I left the queen on one frame of brood in teh bottom brood box ... so at least she has some company .....trust that is ok
Perfect - did just that on two colonies earlier, and yesterday, and Sunday.....

Latest posts

Back