citrus 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
5 hives
Want to expand this year so keen to get on with a demaree on one of my hives that is looking strongest - drones out in the hives but given the cold weather (esp at nights) ..... should I hang back ?

I think I waited the other year and blew it as they started with the queen cells !

Yours in sarf london

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I’m in Wales and I nearly did two today. I’m hanging back for a week. That might be a mistake. 😢

Swarm 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
more than 30, less than 100.
It really does depend on the status of your colony, is it strong enough at the moment? I added two supers to a double brood today, it's a good, strong colony and drones are about but not in great numbers just yet. Next inspection will probably be D day.

jeff33 

Drone Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
14 now...and still counting
As Steve said, it's about the state of the colony, nothing else. I have done 2 demaree to date with one of the hive on its 3rd super. I have added a 2nd brood box on another hive with 10 frames of brood.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I recall the hives building up really early with the nice weather we had from the end of March.
Yes then it all went downhill and it rained for the rest of the year

citrus 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
5 hives
thanks all ... suns out today so might be brave ! but then looking at the forecst it is still cold next week .......gos i hate being a Libran !

StephenT 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Want to expand this year so keen to get on with a demaree on one of my hives that is looking strongest - drones out in the hives but given the cold weather (esp at nights) ..... should I hang back ?

I think I waited the other year and blew it as they started with the queen cells !

Yours in sarf london
I should have done it on my most prolific hive 4 weeks ago when it was packed on brood and a half and 2 supers. Hesitated due to the colder weather and next time I looked 2 weeks later there were a shed load of swarm cells so had to do an A/S.

JonnyPicklechin 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
West London here. My one I hastily did 3 weeks or so ago worked like a charm. Ive done another 2.and have my eye on another 2 in a couple of weeks. Ive added my drone-release boards as per Emyr's suggestions. Already taken some lovely QCs for increase...

Antipodes 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
West London here. My one I hastily did 3 weeks or so ago worked like a charm. Ive done another 2.and have my eye on another 2 in a couple of weeks. Ive added my drone-release boards as per Emyr's suggestions. Already taken some lovely QCs for increase...
Fabulous!

citrus 

Field Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
5 hives
Finally did it today at lunch time .... and this is the first time I confidently found the queen and ensured she was in the bottom box ! - previous years have been tragic with shaking bees into the bottom box.

@jenkinsbrynmair I left the queen on one frame of brood in teh bottom brood box ... so at least she has some company .....trust that is ok

now restacked nicely and hope n pray we get some good supercedure queen cells for me to increase - also have a super on top of the stack with a release hole for the drones.

Cuckmere couple 

Drone Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
i've done a fair few now too this season...all seem to be going well

Latest posts