Dead brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silly_Bee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
I treated for varroa yesterday.

This evening, watching my bees over a beer, i saw around five dead brood being removed from the colony over a period of about an hour. Worker bees were flying off with the corpses, presumably with the intention of disposing of them some distance from the hive.

I managed to intercept a couple. Fairly fully formed with most of the anatomy clearly visible...but no wings. Pale coloured, but soft...not like chalk brood.

Anyone got any idea what's going on? Is this at all connected with the Apiguard applied yesterday?

I'm told that all London beekeepers are treating for varroa at around the same time.

Lot of beekeepers, impressive coordination between them as well to do this. Well done.

How do they do it - open a big tub of Apiguard in Picadillly circus? :D

Regardless with all those synchronised opening of trays the smell of thymol must get about :willy_nilly:

I heard the rumour that London beekeepers were supposed to all treat on 15August. I've got most of my thymol on, but still not all all supers off, so that's slowing me down.
There are a lot of natural beeks who deffo won't be treating.

Hey guys, can we get off the varroa thread, and someone respond to my post? (Larval corpses being removed from the hive, if you need to be reminded).

Anyone got any idea what's going on? Is this at all connected with the Apiguard applied yesterday?

Hey guys, can we get off the varroa thread, and someone respond to my post? (Larval corpses being removed from the hive, if you need to be reminded).

:rolleyes:

I'm told that all London beekeepers are treating for varroa at around the same time.

???Nobody told me! I'll wait until this hot spell forecast for the weekend is over, and then treat.

I'm going with the theory that if HM's not worried it's not serious, and yes its a response to the apiguard.

This evening, watching my bees over a beer, i saw around five dead brood being removed from the colony over a period of about an hour. Worker bees were flying off with the corpses, presumably with the intention of disposing of them some distance from the hive.

I managed to intercept a couple. Fairly fully formed with most of the anatomy clearly visible...but no wings. Pale coloured, but soft...not like chalk brood.

I would like to know the answer to the OP too.

Anatomically they sound alright by that description. Wings develop later on from the pale soft stage you are describing I think. Did they have red or white eyes ?

Prob just a few that got a bigger dose of apiguard than the others or that were more susceptable for some reason.

All varroa treatments are cruel to be kind, and apiguard is no exception. It interferes with colony communication by masking pheromones with its overpowering smell, it can cause queens to go off lay, it can cause brood to be abandoned where a small colony will re-establish a brood nest away from the apiguard leaving the original brood to die, it can cause colonies to abscond altogether, and its quite common upon first applying it to find what you have observed which is dead almost emerging bees, I'm sure younger brood is also killed, its just easier to observe them discarding fully formed bees and parts (how often do people see legs etc. on the drop board ?)than the younger brood as they probably eat the younger corpses.
Even taking into account all of the above, apiguard is a good varroa treatment and having observed colonies decimated by parasitic mite syndrome I would say any temporary embuggerance of the colony caused by the thymol in apiguard (or any other thymol based product) is kinder in the long run than letting them struggle with a heavy varroa load.

Maybe not just the Apiguard. I haven't treated yet as still plenty of brood. I did notice that one of my hives was removing white pupa corpses with no wings. White eyes but otherwise looked ok. I wondered if they could be drone pupa as the drones are being/have been kicked out. Maybe the bees need the space for winter stores. Just a guess though.

All varroa treatments are cruel to be kind, and apiguard is no exception. It interferes with colony communication by masking pheromones with its overpowering smell, it can cause queens to go off lay, it can cause brood to be abandoned where a small colony will re-establish a brood nest away from the apiguard leaving the original brood to die, it can cause colonies to abscond altogether, and its quite common upon first applying it to find what you have observed which is dead almost emerging bees, I'm sure younger brood is also killed, its just easier to observe them discarding fully formed bees and parts (how often do people see legs etc. on the drop board ?)than the younger brood as they probably eat the younger corpses.
Even taking into account all of the above, apiguard is a good varroa treatment and having observed colonies decimated by parasitic mite syndrome I would say any temporary embuggerance of the colony caused by the thymol in apiguard (or any other thymol based product) is kinder in the long run than letting them struggle with a heavy varroa load.
mbc, this is an extremely helpful and considered reply. Thank you for troubling to write in such detail.

Bee forum members...the standard has been set.

very good, thorough response, mbc. not worthy

Latest posts

Back