Dead bees around hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garry T

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is my second season and I am seeking advise. I was delighted today to see lots of flying bees in the warm sunshine after such cold weather . However, I was horrified to see lots 100s of dead/dying bees on the concrete slab under my hives. Is this normal or have the bees got chilled- fooled by the sunshine?
Any advice appreciated.
Garry

This is my second season and I am seeking advise. I was delighted today to see lots of flying bees in the warm sunshine after such cold weather . However, I was horrified to see lots 100s of dead/dying bees on the concrete slab under my hives. Is this normal or have the bees got chilled- fooled by the sunshine?
Any advice appreciated.
Garry
Housekeeping. They are bees that died dropped on the floor and are being thrown out.

They’ve been shut in for days in my area some may have got chilled but as above I would suspect it’s just housekeeping.

Yes, probably, though hundreds sounds a lot .....

Does this hive have a big population Garry?
Hi, yes both of my hives were very full at the end of the season.
But not all of the bees were dead. Some were still moving, albeit very slowly.
I did notice some bees fighting ??

Hi, yes both of my hives were very full at the end of the season.
But not all of the bees were dead. Some were still moving, albeit very slowly.
I did notice some bees fighting ??
First day of flying for my bees, I watched them remove their dead and also one that wasn’t quite dead, they could be mistaken for fighting.
there are a lot of dead that have built up on the hive floor during the prolonged cold spell here in Yorkshire, I’m not too far north of you. Today is their first warm enough day to do housekeeping, all have lots of dead in front of the hives. If you want to give them a hand, remove the entrance block and use a long twig to sweep the floor, you’d be amazed how many dead there are.
Courty

Thanks Courty, that makes perfect sense. It was the first day of flying for a long time, so I guess a lot of bee could have died over the last few months.
I'll watch what happens over the next week - forecast to be warm !
Many thanks to all.
Garry

Latest posts

Back