Day 7

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustAddBees

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
TBH
Number of Hives
Just thought I'd post a little update on yesterday's inspection for interest. On day seven I went to the bees with the intention of topping up feed for the last time, checking their progress, insulating them, and potentially reducing the space so they could better regulate their temperature.

Contrary to my expectations they had already drawn large combs on three bars, and there was comb on a further two, and festooning bees on two more (that's seven bars 'occupied'). There was one incidence of cross combing where they had started to build two combs on one bar, which I managed to correct by pressing it onto an entry bar.

I saw a few cells of pollen (I had already noted that I had seen pollen going in for the first time that day), and some 'honey'. I saw no eggs or brood, and didn't spot HRH, although one bar was more upset that the others when I lifted it out so I guess she may have been on there somewhere.

I'm extremely impressed at the little girls!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Just thought I'd post a little update on yesterday's inspection for interest. On day seven I went to the bees with the intention of topping up feed for the last time, checking their progress, insulating them, and potentially reducing the space so they could better regulate their temperature.

Contrary to my expectations they had already drawn large combs on three bars, and there was comb on a further two, and festooning bees on two more (that's seven bars 'occupied'). There was one incidence of cross combing where they had started to build two combs on one bar, which I managed to correct by pressing it onto an entry bar.

I saw a few cells of pollen (I had already noted that I had seen pollen going in for the first time that day), and some 'honey'. I saw no eggs or brood, and didn't spot HRH, although one bar was more upset that the others when I lifted it out so I guess she may have been on there somewhere.

Are you sure its honey & not the sugar syrup you were feeding being stored?

I you not done so already, try to keep the frames tight together to stop brace come being built between them

Even morre important then that the top bars are pushed tightly together else you may get cross-combing
Yes thanks, they're nice and snug together. I did realise that closing them back up was awkward with propolis building up already.

so is this a swarm that's been housed in a top bar hive and inspected after the 7th day ??

That's right. Sorry, should have said.

was this a prime swarm then with an already mated queen ? as if not, hoping for eggs after 7 days is pushing it a bit:hairpull:
if it's a virgin queen you could quite easily have messed up mating flights,
swarms should be housed and then left alone for a minimum of two weeks, even three before looking for eggs

I check them after three days then 2 weeks after.
It should be OK to look if you avoid the "mating window" on a fine day or look in on a dull day.

Wasn't hoping for anything in particular, but was impressed with their progress. Was looking to reduce hive space so needed to understand how they were doing. Well be leaving them now for a good while and will have to hope they don't make to much more crossed comb.

Back