Cutting out queen cells

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Summerslease

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 and 3 nucs.
This year I have resolved to breed my own queens for the first time. I will be cutting out queen cells this week to put into two apideas. Does anyone have advice on how to do it best? The comb around them was warm and soft when I inspected yesterday and I don't want to damage the cells.
Thanks
Colin

Its all about timing. Cells are easier to cut out with less risk of rejection if the cell is ripe with the queen within two days of emerging. Before that the cell is too soft and there is risk of damage to the developing queen. Use a pair of scissors.

a charp cut knife is better than scissors

dep_1842575-Black-paper-cut-knife.jpg

This I will be cutting out queen cells this week to put into two apideas.

- when the cells have been capped, - when they emerge?
- do you know that the bees stay in apidea
- are they able to keep cells warm enough
- are your apideas ready
- is it better to keep cells in the hive in cells cages that they emerge?

Agree with the sharp knife. Make sure you cut far enough above and behind the cell firstly not to expose any of the inside of the QC and secondly to have something to secure it by if it won't fit in a cell protector (as most don't if capped naturally). A cocktail stick through the extra is a simple way, wrapping all but the tip in alu foil is often done too...

I don't think warmth is the issue at the minute - got 100% emergence on my latest batches. If you think one hasn't check for an entombed worker after the last chance of emergence has passed....

I don't think warmth is the issue at the minute - got 100% emergence on my latest batches.....

I mean that if there are too few bees, the queen cells developes in too cold, and it has meaning.

I may get 100% sometimes and sometimes 10%.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I will try a sharp knife and hunt out our cocktail sticks. I bought some cell protectors some time ago but I think the cells won't fit in with the extra comb I'll have to cut into. I have been watching their progress and know when they were capped so knowing when to cut them out will be easier.

Back