cut thumb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeogi75

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15 nationals
after years of using table saws with no accidents its finely happened, sliced my thumb along the bone, bit of a mess just back from hospital will have to go back on Monday or Tuesday to have nerve and tendon checked and stitched back up guard on which saved my thumb from going any further other wise would have been severed

A near miss - even when it results in a nasty injury - is always a wake up call. A momentary loss of concentration is all it takes. I have so many push sticks and sleds of various sizes it's ridiculous, but my rule is never to get any of my body parts nearer to the blade than a hand size. Seen too many missing digits not to respect any sort of electric saw.

Hope there's no permanent damage resulting ..

Hope it all heals without too much loss of feeling.
Regular massage when walking helps - use of a hand cream - E45 Intensive Repair - helps.

after years of using table saws with no accidents its finely happened, sliced my thumb along the bone, bit of a mess just back from hospital will have to go back on Monday or Tuesday to have nerve and tendon checked and stitched back up guard on which saved my thumb from going any further other wise would have been severed

I can do myself plenty of damage to left thumb when guiding first strokes using a hand saw :( The scar is just fading from an angry pink to a thin white line. Caused plenty of pain and blood at the time to underline I should have had more sense at my age.

I can do myself plenty of damage to left thumb when guiding first strokes using a hand saw :( The scar is just fading from an angry pink to a thin white line. Caused plenty of pain and blood at the time to underline I should have had more sense at my age.

Still got a scar on my left index finger from a jumping handsaw whilst cutting a very dry piece of pine. I was with my father so that makes it about 35 years ago. Around about the same time I sliced my left thumb right down from the tip to below the nail with his stanley knife (still using the knife now!) it took over a year for the nail to grow back properly - for a while it would look normal then the whole thing would just fall off!! but that scar has almost faded away now :D

Run my thumb over the blade a few years ago.i don't use a guard but always keep my fingers well away from blade now.constantly thinking of hands in relation to the blade every cut I make.

thanks for all the replies, now looking at hot wire polystyrene cutting , in my case a hole lot safer as im getting older and more dithery

Familiarity breeds contempt I'm afraid!

It always happens;
not when you least expect but when you think "I must be careful here, it will probably be ok though"!

Because you knew it just might happen?

You do realise that we all now have the opportunity to compare scars etc.

Last time I was waiting in the X-ray dept. , , , , I heard an old guy say, "well I felt the ladder slipping and luckily managed to throw the chainsaw in the opposite direction".
:smilielol5:
:smilielol5:

I haven't perfected using a push stick when I am up the ladder with a chainsaw !! Scares me witless - I just hate heights !

just gaffer tape the chainsaw to the end of a long pole and do your sawing safely from terra firma :D

Last edited:
Until Darwin catches up with them and gives them their award!

Yehhh ... What always worries me about idiots like this on Youtube is that there are bigger idiots who seem to accept such stupidity as good advice ....and probably find Darwin catching up on them even quicker !!

I'm a bit of a cheapskate and if I can make something that will do the job then I'm usually up for it but with anything that is capable of injuring or even killing you then I tend to either buy the real thing or over engineer it to the point where it cannot fail.

The danger is always there though and a momentary lapse of concentration is all it takes.

I had a 3 foot long one foot diameter cherry log on the lathe last week - I knew it was going to be unbalanced so set the speed control on the lowest level, changed the belt on the pulley to the other setting (not thinking what I was doing I inadvertently swapped the belt from the low speed to the high speed setting - just NOT THINKING !!). Started the lathe thinking the log would be rotating at 50 RPM and instead it started at 200 RPM - that's a lot of difference for an unbalanced log weighing about 25Kg ! Before I could stop the lathe the log had freed itself from the centres and was airborne - it missed me but bounced and landed on my foot - and I said a quiet prayer that I ALWAYS wear steel toe cap boots in the workshop - best £17 I ever spent in Aldi - pull on steel toe cap boots.

Bet if you check A & E records, it's already been tried!

remember my father telling me the story of a fellow carpenter who had taped back the blade guard on his skil saw (it moves out of the way as you push it through the wood, but most, including dad would hold it back with their thumb - there was a handle there for that purpose so you could offer it up to the wood without any resistance) on that particular site dinner break was marked by switching off site power.
Said carpenter, on the stopping of his saw just placed it down on the scaffold board next to the work in hand and had his dinner, not realising that the power button on the saw had jammed in the 'on' position - he was walking back along the walkway towards his tools when the power was put back on and the saw just burst into life and came hurtling down the planks towards him.
Needless to say, he no longer has the ability to wear flipflops, has given up ballet but doesn't need to have his toenails clipped!!

Latest posts

Back