Could there be a link between cbpv and sprays ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Afternoon what are your thoughts folks to the title.
Mark
Here you are
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6695216/

If you don’t fancy reading through it this is the last para

by using bees with very low initial loads, we showed that low doses of thiamethoxam could trigger chronic bee paralysis replication in honey bees reaching 108copies/bees, documented as a threshold where bees start developing symptoms of overt infection [29]. Nevertheless, due to a specific physiological state, winter bees are usually more tolerant to a variety of stressors, therefore complementary experiments on this co-exposure should be considered on summer bees, taking into account the compromising between the use of honey bees with the lowest possible viral loads and environmental relevance. Notably, overt infections with CBPV and thiamethoxam exposure are much more likely to occur in spring and early summer; even if contamination of wax and stored food is to take into account, as it was found to be a frequent occurrence

Reactions: mbc
More
Imidacloprid and CBPV have been found to impact bee health (Di Prisco et al., 2013; Toplak et al., 2013). We found that one environmental stressor, imidacloprid, and one common virus, CBPV, act synergistically on adult honeybees and lead to rapid mortality by exacerbating the CBPV titer under laboratory conditions, although we used the lower number replicates for testing this effects.

We found unprecedented levels of imidacloprid in honeybees from several provinces that went through large losses

Loads on Google.
CBPV exacerbated by pesticides not caused. Yet another stressor like varroa.

Sorry Mark but

is really funny. Especially the burd
No need to apologise it is rather funny- interesting because this season I haven’t had any cbpv not even one bee, unlike the last few years where I’ve had colony’s on osr or beans or any mono crop that has been sprayed with pesticides.
I’ve just found it odd I’ve been less intensive with my inspections also setting colony’s up so I don’t need to inspect every week - I’ve used demarre a lot mind you, maybe these are all factors contributing to less stress on my colony’s?
I’ve also not lost one swarm which I’m very proud of.

Thanks for the feed back folks I’ll have a read through the link Dani .

Here you are
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6695216/

If you don’t fancy reading through it this is the last para

by using bees with very low initial loads, we showed that low doses of thiamethoxam could trigger chronic bee paralysis replication in honey bees reaching 108copies/bees, documented as a threshold where bees start developing symptoms of overt infection [29]. Nevertheless, due to a specific physiological state, winter bees are usually more tolerant to a variety of stressors, therefore complementary experiments on this co-exposure should be considered on summer bees, taking into account the compromising between the use of honey bees with the lowest possible viral loads and environmental relevance. Notably, overt infections with CBPV and thiamethoxam exposure are much more likely to occur in spring and early summer; even if contamination of wax and stored food is to take into account, as it was found to be a frequent occurrence
I see that it is a French paper translated by 'a professional translator and native English speaker'. Very poor English style IMHO.

No need to apologise it is rather funny- interesting because this season I haven’t had any cbpv not even one bee, unlike the last few years where I’ve had colony’s on osr or beans or any mono crop that has been sprayed with pesticides.
couldn't help but be a bit facetious Mark - long and telling day, dealing with idiots mostly.
we live in an area which has near to zero arable crops (one farmer four miles away occasionally puts ten acres or so to the plough for stockfeed barley) but the valley is either ancient woodland, ancient grazing enclosures or strictly controlled mountain common land so zero crop spraying in the valley, but still the occasional occurrence of CBPV. As Ceri says, there are numerous stressors that can trigger off CBPV, many are just natural occurences.

couldn't help but be a bit facetious Mark - long and telling day, dealing with idiots mostly.
we live in an area which has near to zero arable crops (one farmer four miles away occasionally puts ten acres or so to the plough for stockfeed barley) but the valley is either ancient woodland, ancient grazing enclosures or strictly controlled mountain common land so zero crop spraying in the valley, but still the occasional occurrence of CBPV. As Ceri says, there are numerous stressors that can trigger off CBPV, many are just natural occurences.
No worries emyr 🙂

I’ve just found it odd I’ve been less intensive with my inspections also setting colony’s up so I don’t need to inspect every week - I’ve used demarre a lot mind you, maybe these are all factors contributing to less stress on my colony’s?
I’ve also not lost one swarm which I’m very proud of.

Thanks for the feed back folks I’ll have a read through the link Dani .
From the research article in this link https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022201120302263
"Colonies from the high-intensity management history exhibited higher viral abundances for all viruses than colonies from the low-intensity management history".

So could the low intensity managed one’s be the ones that are left to get on with it and it goes un-noticed whereas the ‘highly’ managed ones are duly noted & reported………..

So could the low intensity managed one’s be the ones that are left to get on with it and it goes un-noticed whereas the ‘highly’ managed ones are duly noted & reported………..
Low intensity doesn’t necessarily mean less management most of my colony’s have been on a 9 day rotation and even some longer.
Mating apiaries have still needing more attention.
Just as an example 🙂

Low intensity doesn’t necessarily mean less management most of my colony’s have been on a 9 day rotation and even some longer.
Mating apiaries have still needing more attention.
Just as an example 🙂
Not aimed at you CGF - all stats are open to interpretation and seem to influence more & more these days. Trust them less than lawyers, financial advisors & psychiatrists (please don’t take offence if these are your chosen professions 😬🤣)

Not aimed at you CGF - all stats are open to interpretation and seem to influence more & more these days. Trust them less than lawyers, financial advisors & psychiatrists (please don’t take offence if these are your chosen professions 😬🤣)
I know mucker no worries mate 😂 I’m not sure what profession I am these days bf gardener um father which should be a profession well over qualified, psychiatrists are not much help to me, I’m to far gone for that 😁

• Haha
Reactions: mbc

Latest posts

Back